Lounge - July 2022

The worst C++ book...

I came across this 'brilliant' statement in the intro chapter of a new C++ book that purports to 'sets the standard for C++ learning' by "Mastering C++ Programm...
[12 replies] Last: It's a bit amusing talking about outdated programming books. This thr... (by George P)
by Geckoo
Forum privilege

Hello. I have a question about my status using the forum. Today I noticed a new thread about CDB flavors. I simply clicked the button Report - and it erased the...
[2 replies] Last: If the user being reported has a low post count, and is a relatively n... (by George P)
Can user Hison be disabled... (1,2)

Can this user be banned by someone - please! These posts are becoming beyond a joke...
[27 replies] Last: It's like the opposite of Blade Runner, we have to convince humans th... (by George P)
by helios
Text analysis problem

Suppose you have a set of sentences containing instructions in a natural language that are mostly constructed from a finite but unknown set of phrases. Example:...
[5 replies] Last: now I would look for common things (structure, words, something) in th... (by jonnin)
Weird message when starting Visual Studio 2019

I was doing a check to see if VS 2019 had any updates, VS 2022 had a new one yesterday, and when VS 2019 started a message banner showed up underneath the main...
[3 replies] Last: I decided to nuke 2019 from my system, *boom!* It's gone now. (by George P)
info on clang

If all you are looking for is C++ language standard implemented via clang version: https://clang.llvm.org/cxx_status.html To get a specific list of what's avai...
[7 replies] Last: Aaaaand the OP a while ago had a petulant, infantile hissy fit in anot... (by George P)
How to ignore timestamp changes embed in files when committing

There is a program I'm using that generates files (*.c, *.h, *.xml, etc). As all the files it generate consists of timestamp, when it comes to committing, it'...
[8 replies] Last: both windows and unix have a binary file compare, but all it does if I... (by jonnin)
by thmm
Google engineer put on leave after saying AI chatbot has become sentient (1,2,3)

The suspension of a Google engineer who claimed a computer chatbot he was working on had become sentient and was thinking and reasoning like a human being has p...
[46 replies] Last: I suppose not. This definition of free will is what make sense to me. ... (by zapshe)
Big O notation regarding the math

Hi guys, A confession I must make, I don't have the slightest inclination of how the math behind big-oh notation works. I can somewhat understand why we c...
[16 replies] Last: its what makes it fun. big-O isnt aware of parallel either, and somet... (by jonnin)
  Archived months: [jun2022] [aug2022]

This is an archived page. To post a new message, go to the current page.