• Forum
  • Lounge
  • Weird message when starting Visual Studi

Weird message when starting Visual Studio 2019

I was doing a check to see if VS 2019 had any updates, VS 2022 had a new one yesterday, and when VS 2019 started a message banner showed up underneath the main menu bars saying VS 2019 is no longer supported and I should install VS 2022.

Yet according to the "official" 2019 product lifecycle and servicing page 2019 is still "good to go."
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/releases/2019/servicing-vs2019

M'ok, looks like 2019 Community support is over, Enterprise and Professional are still on active life-support.

I use only the Community editions, I won't pay for team services I have no need for as a single programming hobbyist.

Well, this is MS. Just a weird message IMO.

Pax!
Note that only the latest version of VS Community edition, currently VS 2022, is freely available for download.

If you want to get an older version, you need to log in and join "Dev Essentials program" ...

Last edited on
I have 2022 Community already, had it for quite a while.

And when the next version of VS is released, and there is a free Community edition, I'll wait a bit for the few couple of updates/patches before I get the new version.

I was simply amused, bemused and dismayed by the message.

The other day I was considering uninstalling 2019, and that message gives me some incentive to do so. Maybe. I'll think about it.

I don't use 2019 any more, except when there's an update. 2022 IMO is more stable since I am Win 10, and 2022 has better C++20 support. 2019 does work with modules, it just requires a bit of extra work using the experimental modules setting that 2022 doesn't require.
I decided to nuke 2019 from my system, *boom!*

It's gone now.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.