Using :: in C++ language

Does this mean that inside of the iostream file the developers that created it made a namespace called std and put the functions cin and cout into the namespace called std
cin and cout are global objects, not functions. But yes, that's what it means.

"::" is known as the "scope resolution" operator. It can apply to both class scope and namespace scope. If you have
class A {
    void printStuff()
};

Then you must do
void A::printStuff()
{
    // ...
}

in the (non-inline) implementation to differentiate it from a free function (non-class function) that might also be called "void printStuff()".

It resolves the name of printStuff as belonging to the class A instead of being a free function. In the same way, std::cout resolves 'cout' as being inside the std namespace. Both use the :: syntax.

If you define the function within the class definition itself, it is implicitly inline, and you don't need the A::
class A{
    void printStuff()
    {
        // ...
    }
};

since it's already clear that the function is within the class.

If I create a function in main, why don't I have to put main::printStuf{}?
You can't create functions within functions. So you can't create a function in main.

Another, more complete example, using :: to access the static member of a class and namespace.
#include <iostream>

class A {
public:
    static void printStuff()
    {
        std::cout << "A::printStuff()\n";
    }
};

namespace experiment {

void printStuff()
{
    std::cout << "experiment::printStuff()\n";   
}

}

void printStuff()
{
    std::cout << "free function: printStuff()\n";
}

int main()
{	
    A::printStuff();

experiment::printStuff();

printStuff();
}

A::printStuff()
experiment::printStuff()
free function: printStuff()

Last edited on
Does this mean that inside of the iostream file the developers that created it made a namespace called std and put the functions cin and cout into the namespace called std?
Well, cin and cout are objects, not functions. But otherwise yes, that's correct.

When I created a new class that isn't in the same file as main() for some reason I must add :: .
No, that's not right.

For example, if I create a class called A , why do I need to put A:: in front of a function that I make, even though I didn't put it into a namesace? For example void A::printStuff(){} .
:: is used to specify names inside other scopes. Classes, structs, namespaces, and enum classes all create new scopes for names to be defined in.

If I create a function in main, why don't I have to put main::printStuf{}?
You can't define named functions inside other named functions. Are you referring to a program like this?
void printStuf(){}

void main(){
    //main::printStuf(); wrong
    printStuf();
}
printStuf() is in global scope, outside of any namespace or class, therefore its fully qualified name is simply "printStuf". As far as the compiler knows, files don't exist. All it sees is a large single block of text that exists somewhere and it needs to parse. The above program and this:
//file A.cpp
void printStuf(){}

//file B.cpp
#include "A.cpp"

void main(){
    //main::printStuf(); wrong
    printStuf();
}
look exactly the same to the compiler. In other words, files do not define new scopes for names.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.