Hi, thanks but I have all of this + much more, I'm sure my intellisense is perfectly set up because it usually works very fast in large code base, however since recent update it started to behave strange without me changing any configurations.
I figured out problem was due to Abbreviated function template syntax, a new syntax introduced in C++20.
Obviously MS didn't update intellisense for this new feature, reverting to old template syntax fixed all my intellisense issues.
Btw. I figured out similar intellisense issues ca be detected simply by ensuring none of your C++ templates are "non colored" (ex. white text in text editor implies no intellisense is working for that code), otherwise those "white colored" C++ templates may cause other insllisense issues, in my case some 70% of intellisense features were broken just because of 4 template functions that were causing issues to intellisense.
No offense but this statement is out of date, intellisense used to never worked, in my case too, but times have changed...
Intellisense these days works far better than visual assist or resharper.
It only takes some time to set it up correctly, which takes not only time but also a bit of learning curve.
my codebase is not small and intellisense works faster than instantly in 99% of cases.
I'm not trying to advocate for intellisense but there is a fundamental difference that matter:
visual assist and similar autocompleters are lexical parsers while intellisense does it with it's own intellisense compiler which results in better quality autocompletion.
You give me your codebase and I'll make all your wavy red lines go away in less than a day.
@malibor, the last two updates to VS 16.11.1 and 16.11.2 fixed some issues semi-major and minor I was experiencing that weren't listed in the release notes. Maybe your issue with Intellisense is one of the "fixes."
I have noticed with previous VS versions Intellisense can be laggy from time to time, marking something with the red underline squiggles that disappear with a rebuild or a close/reopen. I haven't noticed that behavior with the last two updates, maybe because I haven't done a lot of VS work since the updates.
Thanks, I have reported my issue with intellisense soon after and the fix is already implemented but not yet released, (will be probably in 16.11.3).
One good option or first step to troubleshoot intellisense issues is to try to reproduce problem in fresh empty project.
Another step that helps (besides "Display browsing database errors") is to enable intellisense logging in "Tools -> options -> text editor -> C\C++ -> advanced -> intellisense", often you can find HRESULT errors in the log that describes why intellisense doesn't work in specific situations.