[mingw g++] makefile target without exe extension

Let's say I have a makefile such as the following:

my_program.exe : source.cpp other_dependency.cpp
	g++ source.cpp other_dependency.cpp -o my_program

(command simplified for brevity)

If I type "make my_program", it will NOT use the my_program.exe target because the target name includes the .exe, which I did not type.

Okay then, the solution is to rename the target:
my_program : source.cpp other_dependency.cpp
	g++ source.cpp other_dependency.cpp -o my_program

Now I can type "make my_program" and everything works. Except, the new issue is that because the target is not the name of a file, it will never say "make: 'my_program' is up to date." even though I didn't modify a dependency.

That brings me to my question: How can I get make to still only rebuild when necessary, but use target names that aren't necessarily the name of a file. Do I have to use dummy files that get deleted and re-written to? This seems awfully inconvenient, so I'm sure there has to be better way.

PS: This would also apply to targets that I want to be "groups", e.g. make all_debug which will only run if the debug exe's are out of date, for instance.
Last edited on
How about:

my_program : my_program.exe

my_program.exe : source.cpp other_dependency.cpp
	g++ $^ -o $@

Thank you, I was actually just going down that path myself.

I had tried what you just wrote, but you also need to make sure your line 2 is indented (the line after the first target)... otherwise you get some cryptic error.

Anyway, guess that solves that. Thanks again.
Last edited on
Interesting. My test seems to work with or without an explicit empty recipe.
But if you do need an empty recipe, then perhaps a better way to write one is like this:

my_program : my_program.exe ;

The first line of a recipe can be put on the target/prereq line after a semicolon.
(I've been going through the make documentation over the last week!)
Beware that since a file named my_program is never created, the target will always be out-of-date.

Tell make that my_program doesn't name a file by marking it a prerequisite of the .PHONY target
.PHONY: my_program

You'll probably get away without this, but it's a good idea.
Good point. It should definitely be .PHONY. I didn't notice that.
Beware that since a file named my_program is never created, the target will always be out-of-date.
Seemed to correctly be up-to-date and out-of-date for me, but I will follow your advice and do the .PHONY method, thanks.
I think he's saying that the "my_program" target will always be "out of date" since a file with that name is never created. That's not a problem, though, since it's only purpose is to cause the creation of "my_program.exe", which will not happen if it's up-to-date. Marking "my_program" as .PHONY just ensures that any actual program called "my_program" (unlikely as it is to exist) is ignored.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.