UNIX/Linux Programming - October 2021

by dpf3
How to "reverse direction" of POSIX message queue in Linux?

I am trying to figure out how to "reverse" a single POSIX message queue to enable two-way communication between a client and server process while only using one...
[1 reply] : Why do you want to do this? Because the very real problem is how you ... (by salem c)
How to merge two makefiles?

I'm not so skilled with makefile and I'm getting some configuration problem in marging two different makefiles. I've two directories with different projects, ma...
[1 reply] : The complication is that you have different compiler flags for the two... (by kbw)
a.out file

Im not sure about it, but why can not I create two a.out files in the same directory? how to run a.out file without command line ./a.out?
[4 replies] Last: Building off of what others have said, you can compile to foo and to b... (by newbieg)
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Does this error mean that this package nodejs_14.18.0-deb-1nodesource1_amd64.deb is broken and need to be deleted ? /var/cache/apt/archives/nodejs_14.18.0-deb-...
[4 replies] Last: It would also help if you said what you were doing, ... give some cont... (by kbw)
Perplexity about TTY and PTY

Hello Guys, i'm trying to understand the usage of Pseudoterminal but it's really hard even to explain my doubts. A Pseudoterminal is a pair: Master and Slave...
[1 reply] : Yeah, the article doesn't say very much, and is implicitly misleading.... (by kbw)
tmp

Is it ok to delete the tmp files in Linux to speed up the system and clearing cache memory? cd /var/tmp rm -r*
[7 replies] Last: as I understand here ,it not recomended to delete these files in the ... (by closed account Nwb4iNh0)
by colt
Gcc looking for lib dl in the wrong directory during 32bit configure execution.

Hello. I am currently trying to do a 32bit build of Mesa and a Wine build (that requires a lot of 32bit stuff) And in both I faced these error messages when co...
[3 replies] Last: -dl should be in LDFLAGS, you left it out. It should be: CPPFLAGS="-... (by kbw)
Doubt about test constructs with aritmetic operations

Hello guys, i hope you can help me.. Taking for granted the fact that '0' means success and '1' means failure (in bash environment), why this code (...
[2 replies] Last: Zero is success, 1 is failure. The result of 1 means failure. That's... (by kbw)
Linux's slow HDR adoption

I've heard several people talk about how HDR, isn't worth it, not enough monitors actually handle it well, etc.. This seems like a really terrible attitude abo...
[no replies]
Which/What Application are you missing on Linux?

I have the whole month off in November 2021 and I want to start a new project there. What are your ideas for me? or which / what kind of applications you would...
[1 reply] : A decent C++ websocket library based on asio would be nice. (by kbw)
Operator overloading causes cout to not accept string inputs

Hello, I have a program where I made an object called Poly to represent a polynomial. There is also a friend function which overloads the operator << so that co...
[5 replies] Last: ostream& operator<<(ostream& out, const Poly &aPoly) { out << aPo... (by kbw)
  Archived months: [sep2021] [nov2021]

This is an archived page. To post a new message, go to the current page.