how to download unix?

Pages: 12
Please tell me where can I download UNIX , as I am new to open source programming.
Or , any other software for unix kernel programming .
Please answer with details . Thanks
Cheers
SAM
UNIX and open? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix

Do you mean FreeBSD?

[edit] Nothing prevents open source programming on proprietary OS.
Last edited on
You should get a version of Linux
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
and why is that? unix is still widely used and a fine operating system (or at least free bsd was. i liked it)
Define "widely used"... Last time I checked, Microsoft (unfortunately) had majority of desktop PC's infected with their OS.

Edit: I agree with ajh32
Last edited on
for home users yes. most servers i have to install take either ubuntu server or freebsd
I thought that Linux and FreeBSD were Unix-like, not Unix.

Edit: especially looking on GNU's meaning(and we are using GNU/Linux), also looking at origins of Linux.
Last edited on
Unix (today) is not an OS at all, is a a standard, a set of requirements put on paper. It is part of POSIX, which different operating systems try to follow, more or less successfully: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_UNIX_Specification

A long time ago, Unix was the name of an OS. You can download it here, for example:
http://ftp.fibranet.cat/UnixArchive/PDP-11/Boot_Images/
(you'll need a PDP-11 emulator to run it, I use simh)
Mac OS X is UNIX. :0)

Yes, BUT he will either need a Mac or build a Hackintosh. I suspect he's got an older PC and wishes to install a Unix derivative on it, hence why I suggested Linux.

BTW - I use Macs, I prefer them to PCs with Windows
hey @cubbi : u have posted a link. But there are lots of links there . which one to install ?
He wasn't seriously suggesting you install stuff on that link, he was trying to explain what Unix is and what it isn't.

Perhaps if you explained what you're doing, or provide some context, someone can provide a more helpful answer.
I have windows 8 and want UNIX or some other software like bash , telnet, etc for doing kernel programming or exceuting commands of unix/linux , as I am new to open source programming , I can learn through it.
I have windows 8 and want UNIX or some other software like bash , telnet, etc for doing kernel programming or exceuting commands of unix/linux , as I am new to open source programming , I can learn through it.

Well, get a version of Linux (read a Linux User magazine or something similar to help you decide which one you would like) and then dual boot to Linux | Windows 8.
Please take a look here:

http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2012/09/12/7-tips-for-dual-booting-linux-distributions-and-windows/

article + comments + other related articles.
I thought that Linux and FreeBSD were Unix-like, not Unix.
Edit: especially looking on GNU's meaning(and we are using GNU/Linux), also looking at origins of Linux.
linux is based off unix yes, but they are still two different operating system types.

no its not

Yes, BUT he will either need a Mac or build a Hackintosh.

for unix? no... unix was here before macintosh

You can write open source programs in Windows 8. "Open" and "closed" are all about license terms; the code does not differ. You don't need any open source tools in order to write free code.

You can install and use open source programs, for example many GNU tools, in Windows 8.

I do not recommend telnet for anything; there are more secure communication protocols.

OS kernel programming is a very special field of its own, totally unrelated to "open source programming".
the code does not differ. You don't need any open source tools in order to write free code.
unless its obj-c

OS kernel programming is a very special field of its own, totally unrelated to "open source programming".
depends on what you use

edit: and no the two are quite related
Last edited on
I wrote:
DTSCode wrote:
no its not

Yes it is. :0P

It has been SUS V3 certified since Version 10.5 "Leopard".

http://www.opengroup.org/openbrand/certificates/1200p.pdf

ajh32 wrote:
Yes, BUT he will either need a Mac or build a Hackintosh.
DTSCode wrote:
for unix? no... unix was here before macintosh

For Mac OS X (specifically: before you say "you said OS X was Unix").
Last edited on
Mac Os is NOT unix :P
Mac is unix-like and certified as unix-compatible but it is not UNIX
It is unix-derived like linux before Mac itself

Perhaps you should consider on using freeBSD or a linux distro designed to be more similar to unix (so a distro like Slackware, or try to build LFS if you want to try the "hero way"), meaning that they relies less on package managers, but they are more concerned in terminal

(example: in a sample Ubuntu installation you does not have "developers" tools by default - ex. gcc, make)

You can also consider gentoo, that it is a linux distro completely designed to be installed from source code (but perhaps you need a linux host system to install it, becouse you need to build the kernel, If I remember well).

However as others said: Linux and freeBSD are not unix (neither Mac is).
The more similar to unix are probably freeBSD and Slackware linux (and perhaps gentoo, but I never tested it)
Last edited on
Pages: 12