Learning assembler language

Hello forum!

I'm a total newbie who wants to learn assembler (assembly) language, I know the basics of C++ already, and im reading pcasm by dr carter, but the problem is I have an Intel duo core and my programs crash when I assemble and link them. The Art of Assembly is a bit too advanced for me atm. Are there any free e-books for assembly with an Intel CPU? Whats the easiest assembler to use? There's not much ASM reference as there is modern day languages.. so a push in the right direction would be very much appreciated :), thank you for your time
The best idea might be to use an emulator. Something as simple as DosBox. Here I assume you're writing 16 bit code.
I agree, use DOSBox. What I would do is make a DOSBox folder and edit the [autoexec] section in the configuration file to add
MOUNT C: <path>
C:
cls

where <path> is the path to your DOSBox directory (I use C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\DOSBox on Windows and /home/chris/.dosbox on Linux).

Then, install an assembler that can produce 16-bit code (NASM is my favourite) and find a DOS assembly tutorial. Put your code in the DOSBox folder, compile it with NASM on your host OS, and then run the executables in DOSBox. That way you don't have to mess around with installing programs on DOSBox.

If you want an assembly instruction reference, one of the Intel Manuals and at least one of the AMD manuals has one, and you can find a lot on the Internet. There is also an x86 assembly book on WikiBooks but I don't know how complete it is.
Now that you mention DOSBox, I still have some Turbo Pascal books from the mid 90's that I never really used. Maybe I'll give it a try, I guess it would be refreshing to think about memory in terms of kilobytes once in a while..
I used Emu8086 in college and decided to buy the license (fairly cheap). It is windows only but I have it installed in Vista and in Ubuntu with Wine. I need to learn it again as I've not used it since college and it is a really fun language to use IMO.
DOSBox +1 for 16-bit code

If you want to write native 32-bit assembler, check out http://www.masm32.com/

It's a beautiful thing.
Last edited on
You can't download the ebook and her site doesn't have it on there from what I see.
Yes you can if you're logged in. Oh well, here's a mirror http://uploading.com/files/em4afdm8/learnasm.pdf/
Right click the link and select "save link as" assuming you are using Google Chrome.
Thanks. I messed with emu8086 during college but need to learn it better and I think this will help refresh my memory.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.