New to Linux

Pages: 12
I recommend Ubuntu. I actually replaced my old Ubuntu install by Mint, since it still comes with Gnome 2 instead of Unity. However, Mint is based on Ubuntu and the differences are small. Mint has only one bottom panel (instead of two) and a Windows-like "start" button to the lower left, but I removed it after a few weeks, since you can't really work productively without an additional panel that you can place application starters and other frequently used stuff on.

I installed Fedora at some point, but couldn't quite warm up to it. It seems to be designed for multi-user systems (like, you have to be root to shutdown the machine) and you might find that some things aren't in the default repos (due to stricter policies, mainly). And personally, I have little desire for manual package hunting.

By the way, for Debian/Ubuntu/Mint there's the following Code::Blocks repository:
http://apt.jenslody.de/
It'll provide you with the latest nightly builds via the update manager. Code completion and especially call tips work better with the latest nightly build than they did with 10.05.
@blackcoder41

I checked out Slitaz but it didn't seem to be anything special. Did I miss something...?

@Grey Wolf

I'll look into it, thanks.

@Athar

Well you've knocked Mint of my list. I'm still battling with Ubuntu. Some say it's great, others not so much. I'm going to try download Ubuntu and Puppy Linux at work (not sure if the other two allow this) and try them at home.

Ubuntu, Debian and Puppy Linux is what I have whittled my options down to.
Just try ubuntu.
use below link to download exe on your window box.
http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/windows-installer

No need to burn CD.
1. download exe on your machine.
2. install it(You need good internet speed connection).
3. ask to reboot your window machine.
4. after reboot it will show multi-bootloader option :). go with default.
5. Select Ubuntu. :) now Enjoy.

"I installed it on my laptop and one desktop. Its very easy to install. and very easy to uninstall."

6. It also have Ubuntu one option. Central private depository(cloud computing).

Please feel free to ask any question related to this.
Thanks,
Minix
Thanks minix. I had already planned on doing that and am actually about to download it now.
Wubi is not a good idea, I heard it often causes problems. This will also bind the two installs, so you could not reformat your Windows partition without affecting Ubuntu.
Just partition your drive and install Ubuntu normally.
Thanks Arthar.

I'm at work right now running Ubuntu from a USB. I have just connected to the Internet so I have not done much yet. I'm going to play around and see what it can do.

It feels like a mix between a Mac and PC so far. I think I'm going to go for it.

If anyone has tips for Ubuntu please let me know!

closed account (3hM2Nwbp)
Hmm...a tip for Linux distros in general:

1) Don't change any setting files unless you absolutely know what will happen (because sometimes you won't be able to boot the system back up to change it back).

2) Try to find an active Unbuntu forum (because I personally found it exceedingly difficult to find anything useful in any relevant documentation.)

3) Learn command-line-fu.

Good luck (hopefully you'll have a better experience with Unbuntu than I have!)

* PS - As Athar stated, I've experienced problems with Unbuntu randomly freezing up with the windows installer.

4) In light of the above post statement - save your work often.
Last edited on
Luc Lieber wrote:
Good luck (hopefully you'll have a better experience with Unbuntu than I have!)
Same goes here.. hahaha :p
Luc Lieber wrote:
Good luck (hopefully you'll have a better experience
with Unbuntu than I have!)

Thanks! I've played around with the Live boot and it seems fairly interesting (bearing in mind it's my first experience with anything Linux). If I find a reason to leave it for something different I'll come back to this thread to re-research the other suggestions.

Luc Lieber wrote:
* PS - As Athar stated, I've experienced problems with Unbuntu randomly freezing up with the windows installer.

A change in plans has had me receiving an install disc from my local computer shop instead of them installing it for me. Hopefully It'll go problem free. If not I can try installing it with the live boot. I'll take the advice given here to make sure the process goes smoothly.
Last edited on
would you guys recommend debian to someone who is completely new to linux?
closed account (1yR4jE8b)
If your purpose is to learn the ins and outs of Linux, yes. If your goal is to *use* your computer NOW, then no.

For a beginner that just wants to use a free OS, then Ubuntu is your best bet. Once you have some more confidence with how Ubuntu works, then look at "intermediate" distros like Fedora. After that, if you want to dig deeper, try Arch or Gentoo.

I find a nice middle-ground between N00b-friendly and Intermediate is Linux Mint: Debian Edition, or just plain Linux Mint if you're feeling sheepish.
closed account (iw0XoG1T)
Debian is quit easy and the documentation is very good.

This is bad site to ask questions about Linux distributions.

What I would recommend is you go to one of the various Linux forums and ask Linux users what they think.

edit: removed argumentative comments
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.
Pages: 12