Be nice

Pages: 1234
I try as much as possible to live by the idea that I can't rely on others to make me happy (not because I don't trust them, just because I shouldn't have to rely on them like that) and that people can only make me unhappy if I let them.

You never let other's make you happy? There's nothing with that.
I try as much as possible to live by the idea that I can't rely on others to make me happy (not because I don't trust them, just because I shouldn't have to rely on them like that) and that people can only make me unhappy if I let them.

That is a very good idea to live by. Others can only make you unhappy if you let them, and it's never a good idea to be too dependent on something (including others' kindnesses).

-Albatross
You never let other's make you happy? There's nothing with that.

He said he doesn't *rely* on people to do it.
That is a very good idea to live by. Others can only make you unhappy if you let them, and it's never a good idea to be too dependent on something (including others' kindnesses).

-Albatross

Although true, it seems a bit anti-social if you truly do live by it. How do you feel happy without human interaction?
Although true, it seems a bit anti-social if you truly do live by it. How do you feel happy without human interaction?

IMHO, that's taking Albatross' suggestion to the extreme; in other words, you are either missing the spirit of what Albatross is trying to convey or at the very least, distorting it.

You can easily follow Albatross' advice without giving up human interaction.
kfmfe04 wrote:
IMHO, that's taking Albatross' suggestion to the extreme; in other words, you are either missing the spirit of what Albatross is trying to convey or at the very least, distorting it.

You can easily follow Albatross' advice without giving up human interaction.

Sorry if that's what happened. I honestly took it as without any human connection. I personally feel you should be open to allow others' to guide your emotions. I find it hard to have any feeling if I don't communicate in some form or another.
Last edited on
Which is the whole point, you can still follow Albatross' vision while having human interaction/communication. What Albatross is implying is that you just shouldn't be relying on it too much.
// Firstly, I believe in something that I think everyone should believe in, and that is "I could be wrong", so remember that. I see the positives in negativity and the negatives of positivity, but am usually optimistic about any situation I'm in since I know some good may come out of it. I mean "actual" good though, not 'Karma' or anything(agnostic). I suppose the phrase "What doesn't kill me only makes me stronger" is accurate, I'd have to look into it more though.

// Anyway, I find "Anger" to be mostly useless in the modern world(3rd world countries) except in survival or just something important, and that's if you can control it and it doesn't hinder you. I rarely get mad, though I do find that I can lose respect for people quite easily. I think I naturally don't rely on others, but them making me unhappy isn't even an issue. If I do judge people, I judge more on their outlook of life, intelligence(or wisdom), and their goals, not about whether the person makes me happy or unhappy. Their value to the big picture is more important than their value to me, and I extend the meaning of friendship to include the fact that I 'support' people who are valuable.
@MottMan,
That's taking it a little far :D
All I meant, as Firedraco correctly said, was that I don't rely on people to make me happy. I make myself happy, by e.g. setting reasonable goals and achieving them. I guess it would be better to say I only need people to increase my happiness, but without people I think I could still be happy. Further, I meant specifically relying on one person or group of people; I think social interraction is important to maintain one's sanity.

Nohbdy wrote:
"I could be wrong"

I actually disagree with this. If you act confident in yourself, others will be confident in you. I try not to spread misinformation; but not by saying "I might be wrong, but..." but by not saying anything at all unless I'm sure. Admittedly, I don't stick to that one very rigorously at all.
@chrisname: That sounds agreeable. I think what I mean to say in place of that is "This information is according to my knowledge, and if you find that I am wrong correct me and I'll adapt to those corrections". I suppose I should use "As far as I know.."? I'm not sure.
AFAIK is good.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.
Pages: 1234