Be nice

Pages: 1234
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
Uh, I've recently learned that a majority of all programmers are completely stuck up (especially Perl users for some reason). Why is this?
Last edited on
Maybe a superiority complex due to people telling them how smart they are when they learn of their programming.
closed account (1yvXoG1T)
I would have to agree with NGen. Many people view programming as some sort of magic, like computers just write themselves or something.
I would like to say though, you are implying that most of the people on this board are likely stuck up (which may or may not be true but I personally haven't seen the evidence for such a statement)
Well, if it must be said, you do know that I am the most humble person you'll ever meet, so I tend to avoid touting my superiority very often.
you do know that I am the most humble person you'll ever meet

Bragging about being humble? Is that a bit paradoxical?

....Or was that the joke....
Never ever try to rate people from forum posts... except if they spamm their whole lifes...

And donĀ“t event try to "evaluate" your own personality... You cannot be objetive with this... not once in a lifetime...
Last edited on
I think it may be due to the large range of programming skill levels.

Experts can sometimes get impatient at beginner questions, or questions that can be easily googled. Also, if a post is worded badly or ambiguously, it's possible to draw some ire.

But from my personal experience, the very best programmers tend to be rather humble, on the Web, and in real life (look at Disch, for instance).
But from my personal experience, the very best programmers tend to be rather humble, on the Web, and in real life (look at Disch, for instance).

You know Disch in real life??

But anyway, if I had to guess, it would be because 1) they are generally more intelligent then others around them in real life, and 2) they generally consider people that program outside of their language as "other people" and hence assume they aren't as smart. No idea why a specific language would be more prevalent with these people though.
firedraco wrote:
they generally consider people that program outside of their language as "other people" and hence assume they aren't as smart

Funny, because my experiences were that the majority of the programmers that I met in real life were usually too busy doing something to care about whether I could program in their language or not, or even program at all.

-Albatross
What you'll find is that the people who are really good will not feel they have to prove it to you. This statement can be applied to much more than programmers.
I never quite know how to respond to compliments over the web, heh.

Thanks, kfmfe04. ^^
moorecm wrote:
What you'll find is that the people who are really good will not feel they have to prove it to you.

This, so much. I notice this alot. I have this friend that plays the electric guitar, and he's fantastic - easily the best player I've ever met; after a year of playing he had already surpassed the skill of someone else who had been playing for about three years. But if you ask him how good he is at playing the guitar, his answer is invariably in the vein of "I'm alright, I guess".

He also plays bass and is pretty awesome at that too.
I have this friend that plays the electric guitar, and he's fantastic - easily the best player I've ever met; after a year of playing he had already surpassed the skill of someone else who had been playing for about three years. But if you ask him how good he is at playing the guitar, his answer is invariably in the vein of "I'm alright, I guess".

I think this is probably because he knows other guitar players (whether he listens to them or he has met them) and he knows he has more room to grow. Unless your conceded, ignorant, or you truly are the best, you probably will be modest knowing that your not the best. It's always better to undersell anyway. I've been playing for almost 6 years and still know I'm not the greatest. Guitar, like programming, is a life long hobby and interest.
In my experience, the more you learn, the more you see how much you don't know.

One of my favorite quotes is "Education is the progressive realisation of our ignorance." It's actually a quote from the PowerPuff Girls, but the source notwithstanding, it's really on the mark.

If you think you know everything, you're wrong. For everything you know, there's tons of things you don't. Those that know more than most tend to realize this, and that's probably why they appear humbled.

It isn't that they're humbled by people that know more than them, it's that they're humbled because they see, more than anyone, just how ignorant they really are.
"If you think you're not as smart as you think you are, you're probably smarter than you think you are." (not sure the source, someone's signature on another forum).
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
All real life programmers that I've met so far have been okay unless they're under the age of 25. If they are, I find they're Batch nerds who really don't know what programming is and just go around calling themselves a "hacker". If they are able to exploit something, its usually from something that was made by someone else.

In my experience, the more you learn, the more you see how much you don't know.

So true.

&

The biggest stuck up problem I know is where people will sniffle at your code because your ignorant about something and basically rub it in your face which apparently is the best way to learn in any language currently. The documentation in most languages are mediocre at best and some people simply learn faster and more efficiently on the go. Come now, who really read every man page for Perl when they first started out? Well, I did a lot since Perl users are snoody as shit but ended up asking irl friends about Perl instead of going to a forum or IRC channel like I do with C++.
Last edited on
Haha to quote one of my best friends, "My only flaw is my arrogance."

When you are praised constantly for doing minimal work that you love it tends to expand your ego exponentially. The unfortunate side effect of this is the 'stuck up' programmers... Well luckily most people here are awesome and pretty humble!
haha, to expound upon your point:
I must have one flaw, if not I'd be too perfect to be around

EDIT: Fixed typo
Last edited on
The flip side to Disch's comments - the more experience I get, the more I realize how many really smart people there are out there; it's extremely difficult to come up with original ideas. About >90% of the time, when I work on a project and think I need to write a library to solve a problem, I do a quick google and bam - someone else has done it already! Of course, I am quite happy to work on the shoulders of others smarter than I.

The world is a big place with lots and lots of very smart people, but the Web has brought these people closer. We are the first generation to really take advantage of this. Isn't technology amazing?
+1 kfmfe04
Pages: 1234