Who are you guys?

Pages: 1234
I've been a member of this forum for a month now and I still feel as though I don't know many of the people on this forum. Yes, I have stalked some by looking at the info provide in your profiles; but I still don't know many of you. So pretty much, I was wondering if you guys can introduce yourselves. Talk about your programming experiences, the languages you know, whether you are the big boss around here, etc....nothing specific really.

I'll start! Pretty much I'm a beginner C++ programmer and I joined this forum initially to get help on a string stream question. I've since then grown to like this community and has become a place where I drop by daily. I'm just amazed at the plethora of knowledge I'm acquiring but reading the beginner questions (admittedly some are beyond my grasp). I like to read and enjoy doing math problems. Hmmmm....currently pursuing a degree in computer engineering and I think that's about it.

Anyways I would love to hear about you guys. :)

Umm, interesting post...
Hi, I'm Nathan Pelletti. I'm 16 years old and currently residing in Pocatello, Idaho (middle of nowhere). I'm French and got into C++ programming 3 years ago. Since then, I've been doing a lot of learning on how things work. My most important programming experience (to me) was working on a robot last year. This robot used swerve drive (all 4 wheels rotate) and car drive at the same time. In case you're wondering, that's extremely diffcult to pull off and we never really got it right 100%. It worked, but not effeciently or beautifully. I was mostly involved with making the autonomous section of the code. This was difficult because the rest of the robot was run by a PID loop which is a singleton. Basically, we had to trick the robot into thinking it was getting values from the joystick which we did by overloading all the joystick functions in a derived class and making all the functions virtual (lots of fun). Since then, I haven't had as much time as I would like to to program (or do much else for that matter) and I truly lament this situation. Hopefully things will turn around soon and I get put more effort into the projects I'm currently working on.
Heyas!

I'd rather not give out my real name for privacy reasons, but you can call me Albie or Albatross, whichever you prefer. I'm located somewhere in California, U.S.A., Earth.

I've been programming for approximately 4-6 years (can't remember exactly when I started), with 3.5 - 5.5 years being in C++ (first it was C# but I quickly dumped that language later after I got better at programming in general). Now, programming in any language comes to me naturally.

I came to this community... ages ago but had long periods of inactivity as well. I joined so that I could help people with their programming problems, and I made the vast majority of my posts with the intention of helping others on this forum.

As for my programming projects, currently I'm working on a compiler for my own language. I'm fairly proud of the progress, which is slow because of my limited time, but it's progress, and I don't like to brag but I think I can safely say that the language is unique. :) It's still in its dev stages, however, and I'm not letting anyone get their paws on it just yet!

Oh, and I enjoy Monty Python, and my Bio usually contains mashed-up Python material.

I also love a good conversation, so if you for some strange, inhuman, an otherwise completely unholy reason want to get to know me better, PM me.

-Albatross

P.S. - Yes, as some of you may know, I am a girl, which is something which I've been hiding for quite some time (for at least 1500 posts on this forum, hehe) in case this place turned out to be another 4chan when someone of the female gender showed up, but... well. So far that reaction has been MIA (although I did see some frowning in the past, yet for not completely unreasonable reasons), so, I guess I'll risk making a public statement.
I'm not one for writing bios, but my profile does an admiral job of summing me up (added and omitted a couple of things):

Hobbyist programmer, musician, and writer.

Extended addition:

I am a senior high school student who loves to play guitar/banjo, program, and write.

As a guitar/banjo player I like a wide range of music, but stick to Classic Rock and alternative as my main choice. I've played guitar for 5 years and banjo since April. I play in a Blues band at school, which is fun but a huge fan of the Blues ("Hold on I'm Coming" has awesome horns though). At home I normally just rock out with my Gibson SG to AC/DC or Beck (ya I know, weird jump).

As for programming, I have dabbled is several languages but am really only well decently equipped with C++. I could write a hello-world program in Python, Ruby, C, C++, or Turing. Like I said though, not much else :) I am teaming up with several of my friends who are just learning C++ to start on our dream to make games for a living, but of course right now it is purely for fun.

I am also an amateur writer. I tend to write content on games and technology on my recent (as of writing this) website http://scottisalwaysright.com/

PS: Recently became a fan of the Big Bang Theory. It fits nicely with my other nerdy television show obsession, Futurama.

Last edited on
@sargon94
That's awesome bro. We had to build a robot in my engineering class last year but the primary objective was to build a robot that could be controlled remotely with some sort of viewing device. Not much programming to it, just use prefabricated parts and merge them into a cohesive unit. But that sounds awesome.

I have had the chance to play with the type of robot you and your friends were building. I was visiting college for lab and they had a demonstration of something similar which we were told to work on. Although we didn't build it from ground up and jumped in at the relatively easy part, it was still tedious work telling the robot what to do without a joystick. Code after code after code. So I guess I can empathize with you. :P

@Albatross
I'm not sure if this is too personal but I was curious if you ever received any formal education or are you self-taught. The reason why I ask is because you said you stopped writing in C# and moved onto C++. So if you were in a formal setting, you would've had to follow a set criteria with one specific language.

That's awesome what you are doing with your own language. :) Just the sheer knowledge to do something like that is inspirational. If the language is unique and easy, who knows, you could be the next Bjarne Stroustrup. By the way, is it going to open source or a commercial product. Also on a side note, have you started/been documenting the language?

Monty Python, I watched a few episodes here and there and that was when I was very young. I had trouble understanding the accent so the show never really look off for me. I also had trouble understanding British humor...I want to watch it because alot of people reference this show but I just don't have any time. :(

You're a chick. That's awesome! I guess you have big advantage especially in a community dominated by males which is exactly the reason why I'm surprised to hear you say that people frown upon you for being a chick, how come?

@MottMan
You've got your hands tied up mate. Guitar/banjo, writing, programming. That's amazing.

By the way, have you ever tried Actionscript. You mentioned you want to develop video games so it might be an easy platform to develop on and then move forward.

I never really got into Big Bang Theory because it's just toooo exaggerated for me. Maybe it's just me but the show never stuck a cord with me. I do however like Futurama. By any chance, do you like South Park?
@thepedestrian:

I'm not sure if this is too personal but I was curious if you ever received any formal education or are you self-taught. The reason why I ask is because you said you stopped writing in C# and moved onto C++. So if you were in a formal setting, you would've had to follow a set criteria with one specific language.

I taught myself C++ and I never took any programming classes, so I'm a little bit weak on terminology, but my teaching style suits me the best!

By the way, is [the compiler] going to open source or a commercial product?

Open source. Some of the best tools in programming are open source, and should my language become recognized for whatever reason, I don't intend to be an exception.

Have you started/been documenting the language?

Yes. I have the more important parts of the language documented (class and function definitions, object creation, one or two metaprogramming aspects, inheritance, and a few macros, to name a few).

I'm surprised to hear you say that people frown upon you for being a chick, how come?

Er. I guess I didn't quite say what I meant to, oops. From time to time, someone will come on this forum requesting help with a problem of sorts, claiming they are female, and they constantly expect more work to be done for them then most of those who leave their gender unspecified. This has lead to some... er... touchy situations (and I don't mean the touch-y feel-y sort of touchy). I myself got no frowning upon.

@MottMan: I must be slacking with reading profiles. Playing classic rock on a guitar, programming in several languages, writing (what kind of writing?)... neat! As for Futurama... also neat, but not as neat as the above. ;)

-Albatross
Last edited on
closed account (3hM2Nwbp)
Hello, it's kind of hard to write about oneself, but I'll do my best to humor you.

I suppose that I'll start with the qualities that I look for when meeting people:

Trustworthiness
Honesty
Professionalism
Work Ethic
Politeness
Patience

So far, I've been overly impressed most of the senior members of this community.

Professionally I've worked (in order) as a roofer, receiving clerk, dish washer, electronics assembler, machine operator, maintenance guy, part time programming tutor, welder, and most currently as an automotive mechanic. Last year I commenced from my 2 year program to earn an associates degree in automotive technology, and received a welding certification. As you can see, I like physical work a lot more than desk jobs. Programming is my other side (6PM-3AM). You can kind of say that I am a jack of all most trades.

Over the years I've picked up the syntax of quite a few languages, none of which to a professional degree. You can check my profile for a list of the languages I've worked with. The two languages that I have the most experience with are C++ and Java respectively. Over the past (almost year now), I've been working on a few large scale C++ projects by myself in the little time I have apart from work and the family; the most productive so far being a scalable multiplayer online game framework which has grown to around 70 classes at this point.

I may edit this if I think of anything else relevant.
@Luc: could you describe this multiplayer framework please?
closed account (3hM2Nwbp)
It's still in a sort of a fragmented state with some of the pieces laying around, but nothing assembled yet...but I can give an overview on what I want to accomplish in the end with it.

* I have posted a couple of topics with classes from the framework here.
> http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/general/30240/
> http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/general/29620/

* Essentially, there is:
A) A central server that communicates with a database via a connection pool
1) World Servers (up to 255 at this point) can connect to this central server
2) This central server synchronizes player sign ins, sign outs, profile saving, initial data caching, etc.
3) The central server is event driven

B) World Servers
1) When a player connects to the world server, they form a session with it
2) The player objects can be attached to the session via a template
3) The world server is event driven
4) The world server is to handle path validation, trajectory validation, physics, collision detection, etc.

C) Client
1) I'm no good with graphics...so the client is a command prompt at the moment, but all of the non graphical parts (networking, exception handling, client validation) are in place.

D) Interpreted scripting support - not started, I'm frankly clueless on this...will have to read into it.
--
As you can see, none of this is 'set in stone' and I'm not even entirely sure if it's going to work...but it does keep me busy (out of trouble).
// Albatross: That is interesting and understandably conflicting information about you Albatross! Ironic example, I saw you offer your PM services and was like "Albatross is teh awesomezorz x10, I'd love to talk to that info-tastic guy!" and then hearing you say you're female is indeed some sort of psychology-ish conflict! It's almost an issue now because if I were to contact you via PM, I'd assume that you'd assume that the motivation behind it was because I knew you were female! Though, from the way you seem to be in general, I don't think you'd let that conflict get much in the way and it would be more of just a thought at the back of the mind, maybe?
// It's so understandable because I will easily admit that such a piece of information does affect me, and how you view that is up to you! I'm sure I won't treat you any differently, but I can't hide the fact that I do "like" the fact that you're a girl. As a male I think girls are awesome, I think a female programmer is awesome, and most importantly I think the previously non-gender-specified Albatross is awesome. Anyway, back to main topic!

// My name is Ryan and I'm 19 living in Arizona, USA. In the beginning, I realized I wanted to create games, and considering my interests in "gameplay" and "functionality" over "graphics" and "visuals" I chose programming over the seemingly more popular designing.
// These days, the reasons for choosing programming have magnified to the point where I see the use of it in almost any situation and other reasons as well. I feel that game programming is a great way to master programming in the beginning, as my ultimate goal is advancing technology and basically making people smarter and have easy access to gaining knowledge(Hopefully wisdom, too).
// I'm very analytical about things. I do indeed love video games and currently playing games like Halo: Reach, Fallout 3, Far Cry 2, etc. Some of my first games that inspired me to make games were "Breath of Fire III" and "The Sims", but these days almost every game I see inspires me further.
Albatross... you may be the second woman I have seen post in over 2 years. :)
@MottMan
You've got your hands tied up mate. Guitar/banjo, writing, programming. That's amazing.

By the way, have you ever tried Actionscript. You mentioned you want to develop video games so it might be an easy platform to develop on and then move forward.

I never really got into Big Bang Theory because it's just toooo exaggerated for me. Maybe it's just me but the show never stuck a cord with me. I do however like Futurama. By any chance, do you like South Park?

I've never tried Actionscript, no. I have done some SDL work but am making a changing to SFML soon.

Ya, it's fairly exaggerated, but there are some great moments. I love South Park :) Not quite as much as Futurama, but it's a great show nonetheless.

@MottMan: I must be slacking with reading profiles. Playing classic rock on a guitar, programming in several languages, writing (what kind of writing?)... neat! As for Futurama... also neat, but not as neat as the above. ;)

I write mostly on games and technology. I have been far behind on my usual schedule but it's a new project and it's coming along nicely :)
'''
Last edited on
closed account (1yvXoG1T)
I approve of this thread ;D

My name is Mike and I'm 20 years old, recent former resident of Oklahoma and new resident of Utah. I've only been with this forum for about a week but I find myself checking it multiple times a day and just from helping a few beginner problems and reading through some other ones I feel like I'm progressing faster than before.

I've been on and off programming since I was about 9 if you count writing in Basic and ZZT (Hey, when you manage to make a simple FPS system in ZZT, I consider it programming) but I didn't really start to get in to it until I took programming in high school and became relatively well acquainted with Java. I've written at least a little bit in Python, Ruby, VB, Java, and C/#/++. I really started writing in C++ about 3 months ago. Originally I got in to this stuff for game programming, which I still hope to do, but to me it's gone beyond that. Truth be told, I rarely have time for video games or programming for that matter (but I definitely make time for the latter)

I'm currently a freshman going to university for a Bachelors in Computer Science (and just got results back that I tested out of CS 1400 w00t! Sorry, I'm excited :D) As stated before, I'm hoping to get in to game programming, not so much for the fact that I'd be making games but for the fact that I see gaming as a very complex and every changing ground for a programmer and feel like I'd get the opportunity to work on many interesting systems.

My musical taste is pretty eclectic but my main focuses are on heavy metal, alt. rock, and ska.

The Big Bang Theory is definitely my favorite show, I haven't seen enough Futurama to form a good opinion but I like what I see and South Park is hilarious.

It's a pleasure to be here with you folks and am now getting the opportunity to read a little about each of you :D
Last edited on
...but I didn't really start to get in to it until I took programming in high school and became relatively well acquainted with Java.

That's awesome you got that opportunity. I've taken several computer classes in high school and when we finally did some programming, it was Turing (a language made for students) and our assignments started, and remained at the very beginner level. At least I had several weeks to just help other's as I was done day 2.

...not so much for the fact that I'd be making games

Is that not a pretty cool motivator though?

The Big Bang Theory is definitely my favorite show, I haven't seen enough Futurama to form a good opinion but I like what I see and South Park is hilarious.

Nice taste in television :) Here are some of my favourite quotes (there's no moderator around here right?):

Big Bang Theory Pilot:
Penny: "So, what do you guys do for fun?"
Sheldon: "Well today we tried masturbating for money"

Futurama - this is more of a programming joke then my favourite quote
That's Lobstertainment!
Calculon: "Are you my new hot water heater?"
Bender: "No, I'm Bender, we meet before."
Calculon: "Unless you can heat water to 200 degrees I'm not interested."
*shuts door*
*door bell rings*
Calculon: "Do you have an extra goto 10 line? I said I'm not interested!"

and finally...

South Park Succubus
I'm not going to list the whole quote here as it is episode long. It's the episode where Chef's dad goes on about the Loch Ness monster. If you've seen the episode you know what I mean :)

EDIT:
jleach wrote:
I played in a rock/blues band between the ages of 17 to 23.

What did you play? If guitar, (starting to sound like program flow...) what kind did'ya play? I'm a SG guy myself. Recently got a Gibson SG in heritage cherry. I smile just thinking about it: http://worshipmediamusic.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Gibson-SG.jpg
Last edited on
Hi there.

I joined this forum about a month ago to give my $.02 on some topic (I think something about operator precedence), and I keep coming back to answer peoples questions, mainly in the beginners forum, because it's something semi-relaxing to do when on my lunch break or waiting for the compilers to finish. Plus, I'm considering moving into academia and think the practice of explaining some of the simpler concepts would be good for me.

I've been programming for about five years, but only seriously in the last 12 months or so when it became a full-time occupation (previously it had been a way to remove some of the more monotonous parts of my job). I've experience of .NET languages (C#, VB) and several scripting languages, but my main stays are FORTRAN and C++ - though I also use Python for scripting on a fairly regular basis because it's easier to give users control in Python than in C++, where they're more liable to mess with things they shouldn't.

I'm in my 20s. I too like Big Bang Theory (George Takei in last weeks episode == awesome), and South Park. I did like Futurama, but haven't seen any of the new episodes yet. I don't have internet access at home, so I tend to be a little behind the times on latest & greatest releases/products.
Hey (:

My name is my username. I'm younger than 18, living in the US. I've been programming for the past three years, starting out with VB, then moving to C, then picking up C++ in the last few months. I'm fairly experienced with WinAPI and C.

As for my current projects, I really need something to work on. I'm thinking of writing a server for a game.

I really like listening to Eminem and watching Dexter. I'm a pretty good runner (3 miles under 19 minutes), I've had nine years on the piano, and I'm decent at chess.

Like Albatross, I'm a girl too.
Hey Kiana. Thanks for re-kicking this thread. I'm a huge fan of chess (I'm rated, you can look me up) and am currently working on Asteroids (except better). If you would like to help in any way I would be glad to include you (or anyone). I was thinking of making it multiplayer (I'm still getting the basic game theory to work but once that's done I'm hoping to make it Lan/Internet based as well). My chess rating is low by the way. I intended to get really good but C++ and my life got in the way.
chess

Ah, chess. It's not a passion of mine (wasn't a typo) but it is great fun. I remember once in science camp I was playing against one of my friends (jumbo chess board) and a crowd gathered (it was science camp...) and we played a great game. It's a great pass time.
I really need
something to work on
How about this?
http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/general/31139/
Pages: 1234