Clang with Visual Studio

With VS2022 17.6.5 (latest version that works with Windows 7) the Clang version installed is 15.0.1

Is it possible to update this version of clang to the latest (17.0.6 ?) without also updating VS (which now can't be done for Windows 7)?
From what little I can find it looks it is possible to use a custom Clang version/location that can be used in VS.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/build/clang-support-msbuild?view=msvc-160#custom_llvm_location
Sidenote:
MS support for Windows 7 did end already 2020-01-14, and even
Extended Security Updates (Win7 ESU, for subscribers) did end 2023-01-10.
Only some embedded versions remain in "not totally dead" category.

What "market" is there left for Windows 7 applications?
("Larger than Linux desktops combined" is still not huge achievement.)
Win 7 may no longer supported, but VS 2022 can create executables -- console mode and GUI -- for later Win versions other than just Win 7. It depends on the Win SDK used and WinAPI functions used.

My PCs are Win 10, yet I build my apps using the Win 11 WinAPI SDK. The current up-to-date WinAPI SDK. Not a single app I create fails to run on my machines. 32- or 64-bits.

Though I don't use Clang as my compiler front end, I use the default compiler VS provides, I'd hazard a guess something similar applies. One of the numerous contributors to Clang and LLVM is MS.
but VS 2022 can create executables -- console mode and GUI -- for later Win versions other than just Win 7. It depends on the Win SDK used and WinAPI functions used.

True - but without using the latest C++ features as these are only introduced with updates of VS.
IIRC all C++20 features should be available in that particular VS 2022 update, but of course C++23 and later compliance is gonna be a big fat nada. I run Win 10 with VS 2022's current latest version.

For that matter it looks like the latest Clang version is lacking full C++20 support also. No compiler suite is fully C++23 compliant yet.

I know of several local companies that still use Win 7 despite the lack of support. One company I know of still uses Win XP because a particular app they use requires it. The Win backwards compatibility feature doesn't work reliably.

Topic archived. No new replies allowed.