I need the word!

Pages: 12
Hello everybody :)

Well first I am ESL.

Omniscient is a word that means "knowing everything".

If I want to search for example for a single word that means "knowing everything". What should I write in the google edit box?
Should I write:
"knowing everything" in a single word
"knowing everything" synonym
What is that word?

Why I need this? well I am look for a single word that means "continuous awareness" or "continuous consciousness", It seems I do not know how to search for it?

Please help, it is a matter of life and debt

BTW: if you happen to know the word that means "Continuous awareness" please tell me

Thanks for reading.
If I want to search for example for a single word that means "knowing everything". What should I write in the google edit box?
Should I write:
"knowing everything" in a single word
"knowing everything" synonym
What is that word?
You should search for lists of English affixes. That's how words such as "omniscience" are made in European languages.

I am look for a single word that means "continuous awareness" or "continuous consciousness"
There's no such word. There's no Latin or Greek affix meaning "continuous" or "uninterrupted". Furthermore, "conscious" is already partly cognate with "continuous", since "continuous" comes from "con" ("together") and "teneo" ("to hold/have"), while "conscious" comes from "con" and "scire" ("to know"). In other words, both words are already made up of prefixes and suffixes.
A good place for specific questions like yours could be English SE here
https://english.stackexchange.com/
how about "perma-consciousness" (borrowing the prefix from permafrost)?
While "permanent" could be used to mean something that lasts for a long time without necessarily implying that it lasts strictly forever, it emphasizes the duration of the process or state, rather than its continuity. You wouldn't describe seasonal snow as "permafrost until winter ends" merely because it didn't thaw until then.
It never hurts to consult an English Thesaurus:

https://www.thesaurus.com/browse/omniscient and the resultant dictionary entry for a word that piques⁑ an interest.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/pansophy

Now that is a word I haven't heard of in a long, long time.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/pique, def 3.
English has reached a point where I encourage to just start making up a word for things you want.

Chroooiiistttt. Definition: Constant Awareness

Shawww Duuuddeeeee. Definition: God-like power

ASFjojoWIJEGOJWE. Definition: Run
depending on context you can try something like "eternal" or synonyms of that. There are probably some religious terms inherited from hebrew or other languages that refer to God to present the concept, but I can't think of any off the top of my head. As other said, your best bet is to craft a hyphenated word or look for one that has already been done to express the idea. In other contexts something like the "soul" may fit.
ASFjojoWIJEGOJWE. Definition: Run
Is that a JoJo reference?
Perhaps "mindfulness" would be good here? If you are referring to the quality of being aware of what one is doing?
Is that a JoJo reference?

LMAO, I actually just mashed my keyboard. I didn't notice. I watched like two seasons of it, what a show.

Perhaps "mindfulness"

I thought of this very word, but "constant" awareness would need a stronger word I feel. Constant awareness feels like a godly power - never eats, never sleeps, just always aware.
I suspect OP might be referring to the illusion of continuity that is ordinary human consciousness (i.e. "the person that went to sleep yesterday is the same that woke up today"), not to literally being continuously aware like a sleepless robot.
Something like that is better established through a nice narrative and description rather than through a single word anyway.
Thank you everyone for your contributions. I think @helios just answered my question in his first reply.

Tho I found out something really weird about our languages(In Arabic, French and English too), that sometime a sentence can means two things(here 3 times) at the same time, and it seems that only our common sense that helps distinguish between those things. I will clarify below.

As @helios stated, a robot may have(If we consider it has a conscious) a continuous consciousness until its power source drained(This is the first meaning). But a human can not, because we spend spans of time sleeping, losing consciousness by KO, maybe day dreaming... we will never have a continuous consciousness, only the illusion of it, tho we will have consciousness. Unfortunately, this is also considered a continuous consciousness(This is second meaning).

What i am searching for is different(a third meaning perhaps). This may help you understand it, but please read carefully.

I do not know if it happens to you, but let say I want to read a book.
I am conscious now that I want to read the book, I read the first page and everything is good, in the second page after a few sentences, I lose my focus i start to think about something else and i do that while my brain! keeps reading words, then after few seconds i found that I was reading without know what I am reading, So now why I did not sense when i switch from reading to dreaming mode, wasn't I conscious?

And that's the continuous consciousness i am looking for.

Please donate your thoughts, I am enjoying this discussion)
Tho I found out something really weird about our languages(In Arabic, French and English too), that sometime a sentence can means two things

This is true of pretty much every language.

Except for programming languages that would make such things (or should..) illegal.

I do not know if it happens to you

Happens all the time. I tried to read Dante's Inferno and kept finding myself paragraphs down a page but I had been day dreaming the whole time.

wasn't I conscious?

Consciousness by itself does not imply awareness. For example, say you had to pick a number between 0 and 100. You pick 37. Why? Complete consciousness over your brain's facilities should inform you of why, but our conscious is limited to our own actual thoughts and whatever subconscious thoughts we can scrap from our brain (some subconscious thoughts you can "catch" but others you could never).

In fact, if you had the consciousness you were thinking off, there could never be subconscious thoughts! Theoretically, sleep would not render you unconscious, you'd be conscious throughout the whole process and exclusively lucid dream.
I think you are using the word “continuous” in a way that most native-English speakers would not.

You are describing a disconnect between an automatic activity (reading) and your attention. At some point you stopped paying attention to the book (a change!) and started paying attention to your own thoughts. You were not aware of the change, but it happened anyway.

Googling “word for reading without paying attention” I get as top synonyms/suggestions:

• inattentive • neglectful • preoccupied • distant
  • absent • neglect • negligence • detachment

The one that strikes me (a native-English speaker) is preoccupied.

I lost my place in the book because I became preoccupied with other thoughts.

The word that best describes people who are not aware (either of things in general or of something in particular or only at a one-off time) is absent.

Jane is always so absent-minded. Today she walked into the new table three times.

John is acting kind of absent (or distracted) today. Did something happen to him?

And inattentive is always a good choice:

Suzu is an inattentive reader. She can never remember anything about what she just read.

Hope this helps.

[edit] Oh, +1 for the reference to https://english.stackexchange.com/.
Last edited on
So now why I did not sense when i switch from reading to dreaming mode,
The brain and the cerebellum are really good at automating repetitive activities without involvement from the main processing areas (mainly the frontal cortex). You can walk on flat ground without needing to think what each of your muscles need to do each step of the way, and you can even daydream during your walk. You can type commonly used words relatively quickly without needing to think about individual keystrokes. You can do this because you've done these activities so many times that the motor cortex can abstract the necessary motions into "walk" and "type 'cortex'" that your conscious mind can issue.
Likewise, the physical component of reading (the scanning eye movement) is fairly easy to automate, especially since you've done it so much throughout your life. Your motor cortex can continue doing it well past the point that your frontal cortex has stopped processing the information that your eyes were picking up and has moved on to something more interesting.

wasn't I conscious?
As zapshe has said, consciousness does not imply awareness. If you want an extreme example, search "alien hand syndrome". That's extremely clear evidence that, given the right conditions, some parts of the brain can become unaware of what large organs under direct conscious control are doing.
(In the case of AHS it happens because the "consciousness" that's controlling the mouth is not communicating with the "consciousness" that's controlling the hand, and thus reports that the hand acts contrary to its wishes.)
Thank you very much everybody. It seems I need to work more on my English before going discussing these complex topics, I promise I will be better.
As long as you do your best to communicate in clear, grammatical, correctly-spelled English, even if you use an online translator (and mention its use), as you are doing you'll get help. :)

http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#writewell
Please help, it is a matter of life and debt

I believe the phrase you want is "a matter of life and death."

I just now reread your opening topic post and had quite a laugh. That is quite a good typo, showing you are not a native English speaker/writer. Thank you. :)
Pages: 12