Breaches, Breeches and Britches

Pages: 12
"Discuss!" :Þ

Did you just make an among us reference?
While I strongly dislike videos, on topic of spoken/written English this sounds good/bad*: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdRY0x2x6PQ

*Depending on point of view.
Last edited on
Fun fact: ESL learners don't bother learning any of those phonetic/spelling rules. We just memorize the spelling and pronunciation of every word and learn to dissociate the letters from the sounds. For the longest time I didn't even realize English had over 10 vowels, even though I knew how to produce (but not list) all of them.
Even as a native speaker I can see that being useful. English is horrible to learn, with possibly as many or more exceptions than rules.
I would certainly be suspicious of someone I saw wearing a mask, using a crowbar and breaking in through a window. Especially if the suspect was unknown to me and it was my window. Their might be an honest explanation but on face value the motivation could reasonably be seen as highly suspect. Or something like that.

BTW I think she missed, flaw and floor, doe and dough, floe and flow, beau, bow and bow, roe, row and row, lo and low, so and sew, seen and scene, and to, too and two. There are probably hundreds more

Let's face it though at least proper English doesn't include umlauts, accents, cedillas and backwards/upside down Greek characters along with all the unintelligible pictograph scribble of chinese derived from cracks in burnt ox bones (would you believe)

The only problem so far is explained simply by US-English being better described as English-simplified. Maybe they were too busy at the time with King George or just lazy.
Last edited on
teem-team, faze-phase, time-thyme, hire-higher, maw-moor-more, here-hear, their-there, muse-mews, till-till-'til, straight-strait, fate-fete, feet-feat, bit-bit, tip-tip-tip, meet-meat, might-mite, beat-beet. Proper English, the gift that keeps giving.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.
Pages: 12