Whoa!

At the MS Store someone is actually selling Dev C++!
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/dev-cpp/9nsm6dt3k29q#activetab=pivot:regionofsystemrequirementstab

Even free the damned thing is years out of date.
Probably trying to take advantage of the tutorials/books that still suggest Dev C++ as an IDE to use. And the site gives only the most bare-bones description of it. I see the screenshot reveals "TDM-GCC 4.9.2". Imagine actually buying that.

(In case anyone is reading this and wants a later version of TDM-GCC, it's available for free at https://jmeubank.github.io/tdm-gcc/)
Last edited on
It is easy to find FREE versions of Dev C++ available.

There are two (that I know of), unrelated forks started in 2020 available. Red Panda's Dev C++ and Embarcadaro's. Both are free.

I tried both, and they both are wretched piles of crap IMO. I tried, I really TRIED, to like either. But, alas, it just wasn't to be.

Dev C++ ain't all that easy to upgrade the underlying compiler as I remember, unlike Code::Blocks. The IDE can stay the same, I want a compiler that is C++20 compliant if at all possible. The Dev C++ IDE doesn't make it easy.

[ETA]: At least that is what I remember back in 2015. I could be "misremembering."

Ganado wrote:
I see the screenshot reveals "TDM-GCC 4.9.2".

That was the version Orwell updated to 27 April 2015! The last released Orwell version, Dev C++ 5.11.

Dev C++ 5.10, released 11 March 2015, used TDM-GCC 4.8.1.

The two newer forks still used out-dated compilers. Though not as outdated as Orwell.

One major drawback for me with either C::B or Dev C++ is unable to compile for both x86 & x64, release or debug. No batch build AFAIK from within the IDEs.

MSVC++ can do batch builds, easy to set up.

Those screenshots show it is more than likely a for-sale copy of Orwell's 5.11. Damn, someone sure is taking advantage of "just fell off the turnip truck" rubes by selling outdated software.
Last edited on
Heh, I just updated my TDM to version 10.
4.9 is ancient.

[edit] Heh, I see Ganado beat me to it.
Dang I'm getting slow in my old age...
Last edited on
The Microsoft Store tells me “You are unable to rate or review as you do not own this product.”

I know it’s only a few bucks, but I don’t know if I want to give the loser a single red cent just to warn everyone else off.
Well, I went through the trouble to sign in to my MS account (twice!) to report the “product”... and crashed the app store app, lol.

I suppose it isn't enough for a sucker to be born every minute, we've got to make it impossible to save 'em.

Soooo, enough of that. I’m off to take my daughter to the Utrecht art supply in Philly and get her some nice stuff. Catch y'all later.
I did report the app, via a web-browser instead of the store app.

I did my part. *thumbs-up*
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.