• Forum
  • Lounge
  • Should I learn an easier language first?

Should I learn an easier language first?

closed account (ybXN7k9E)
I am interested in learning a programming lamguage, but I've heard C++ is harder than C# and similar languages. It makes C++ sound more complex which leads me to think it can do more stuff than other languages. So I wonder, should I learn an easier language first before I consider learning C++? Like JavaScript?
js is a lot like c++ so it won't hurt. It depends on various things... are you in a hurry to produce something useful? Do you do better going simple to hard, or just dive in and get the hard done making everything after seem trivial? Why do you want to learn programming at all, got something in mind? C++ was my second language, and the first was close enough that it was an easy transition for the most part. I would have been better off going to c++ on day one, honestly, but that is tied to how I think and learn more than the process I followed.

C++ is fairly difficult for someone who is just playing as a hobby. But the flipside, the hobby languages, even strong one like java, have a large number of things you cannot do directly or are not allowed to do at all, causing frustration to people who are used to a more feature rich language.

In the end, you just have to decide for yourself what you want to do.
Last edited on
The reason I consider learning a programming language is because I think it's better to learn something than staring at YouTube and other things for hours everyday. Another reason might be because I learned some simple HTML and CSS stuff which was surprisingly easy, which has lead me to consider learning a programming language, but I am nowhere near becoming a professional.

Anyway thanks for your helpful input :) I'll consider learning JS first to make the leap smaller.
If you are already familiar with web stuff (HTML, CSS) and want to do website scripting and such, then Javascript is probably the path with the least resistance. Most browsers these days have tons of development resources built into them.

I personally like C# more than Javascript. If you want to make simple user interfaces, I would suggest C# (with WinForms or WPF).

C++ is fine as first language. It has some precarious features (mostly stuff inherited from C, although some of the blame is on decisions made in C++ itself), but it really isn't that different from any other imperative/multi-paradigm language, so just make sure you get a good book.
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/388242/the-definitive-c-book-guide-and-list

(Javascript has many questionable features, as well; nothing is perfect...)
Last edited on
Programming is merely giving instructions to a computer. It's a real challenge for meat brains, but the language you use to talk to the computer isn't that important. It's more about what you say than how you say it, you see. Naturally some languages have a larger vocabulary - giving you better expressive power for the cost of a little more work.

Most programmers know several different languages. Mostly other languages are only useful insofar as they encourage you to think differently about problems.

All programming experience transfers easily between tools (programming languages). Start with whatever you want.
Last edited on
Thanks for your wise words, I've taken your input into accaunt. I am now marking this topic as solved. Appreciate the help.
Should I learn an easier language first?

My two pence added to the opinion mixture.

It has been decades since I "first" learned a programming language. That was BASIC in the 1960's in school. Fortran or COBOL weren't taught at a public school then.

BASIC was easy to understand. What did I know? :Þ

Why did I choose C++ as my "first" real programming language, other than BASIC? Because it was and is the language of choice of quite a number of companies. I'd been burned out on the procedural method that BASIC and C encourage. With C++ I could learn much of C still.

I wanted a challenge of a complex language. Easy to learn actually turned me off.

Still learning, self-paced/self-taught. I learn what I want.

Cheaper than therapy, sitting at a computer instead of on an analyst's couch.
It really depends on what you want to actually accomplish. Python and django + html, css, js if you want to develop the web. C++ for desktop applications, embedded stuff, and writing software for hardware. The most important thing is that you learn to use the tools you need to accomplish your
https://printsbery.com/planner-templates/goal
Last edited on
C++ is not much harder than languages like Java and C#. You do have to watch memory and make sure you are not leaking it. You also have pointers. That is the main difference. If you are going for more knowledge of how programming works, C++ is a good start. Java and C# are easier to get things started on, and pointers and memory are pretty much a non issue.

JS and Python are popular, but I have little experience with them. I've heard JS is easier than Java. Python is more concise and less strict on types than Java too.

Not sure if mentions work here, but I have noticed that I have accidentaly reported the post by @cowolter . I apoligize for any troubles caused by this.
...it's a bot/sp*mmer.
I assumed it was reported due to the marketing for the site.
but I have little experience with them. I've heard JS is easier than Java.

js is so close to c++/98 that I have trouble keeping them apart. There are subtle differences, the variable types are weird in js (number instead of floats and ints etc), but the general syntax is extremely similar. The library calls are different once you get out of the raw syntax, of course.

JS is easier than java for subtle reasons. Java project management is convoluted and overly complex, and it can have all sorts of configuration problems with your OS tools and global computer settings. JS just works, as far as I have experienced it, with minimal setup problems or project management mess. Java also forces OOP and styles upon the coder that most other languages do not do. Its not the syntax: both are fairly C/C++ "ish" in the grand scheme. Its the other junk.
I still sheepishly consider myself a novice although I have a degree in Computer science, I was never a diligent or hard working student, I quite frankly barely showed up to classes etc and to this day I regret it as my knowledge is quite narrow compared to your average computer science graduate and because of this I'm still left to pick up the pieces.

With that being said, the advice I would give someone would be to go down one of two paths when it comes to coding(Technically you could go down hundreds of paths but I'll stick to two). You could take the first path and learn Python, as another user mentioned it's great for beginners, the syntax is relatively easy to grasp, the language doesn't have as many features in contrast to C++, features are instead implemented in the Python library which is from what I have read is much more vast than the C++ standard library. It's also a dynamically typed language and is interpreted compared to C++ which is a static typed language and is compiled. Both C++ and Python are multi paradigm programming languages meaning you can take the OOP approach or functional approach.

The other path is going the C++ route, although it takes much longer to master, and mastery is rare. It does have quite some advantages. It is much easier knowing C++ to transition to Python than it is the other way around, in fact if you are comfortable with C++ your skills should translate much more easily over to other languages such as C# and Java with said languages having C style syntax.

Don't take my advice over more experienced users on this site but that's just my conjecture.

Good luck.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.