Riding out the hurricane, Dorian

I'm presently inland in South Florida.

Dorian was headed our way, but too far out to get a fix on its course last week.

A few years ago there was a big one headed straight for us. They closed all the businesses, the schools, the stores were nearly empty and most gas stations were dried up.

It turned out to be a really nice weekend. The sky was clear, not a drop of rain, slightly cooler than usual. That storm turned away unexpectedly.

So, while the Bahamas has endured the brunt of 150 to 180 mph winds for 24 hours, and perhaps 20 or more to go, we're getting occasional light showers. For one day before the course was known to shift north, several gas stations ran dry, lines were 40 to 60 cars long, shelves were emptied of water and canned goods, schools were canceled.

Now, people are peeling off the storm shutters, and everyone has a full tank of gas.

Except me. I'm just about done pulling the cylinder head off my car. I've been doing that while dodging raindrops (no garage).

I'm peddling my 50 something butt on a 21 speed bike. The car has been down two weeks (rained every day since I started, of course), and because of the bike trips I've lost 12 pounds. On a percentage basis, that hardly counts, but it's a direction I've not gone in years.

At least everyone gets prepared. There was a hurricane about 10 years ago when power was out for 2 weeks. When stores were open we shopped around with flashlights.

My neighbors would wander about in the morning following the scent of coffee, which I made outside over the grill. I don't care if it is an apocalypse, there will be coffee.

So, if you're anywhere along the east coast, from Florida to New Jersey, best of luck. Some will get a close up view.

Be safe.

I'm pedaling my 50 something butt on a 21 speed bike
Riding out the hurricane, indeed. Heh.

I'm currently on one of South Carolina's sea islands, and will probably get hit sometime Thursday morning. Right now I'm expecting 50mph northwesterly winds, which is good because I have protection from west wind.

I'm on a bluff and don't typically expect flood damage. I'm supposed to evacuate, but that's not going to happen this time. I got extra supplies and checked the coffee supply a few days ago.

I should be all set, but there's the possibility I'll be without electricity for a while. It's always a good time.
Last edited on
Have experienced a couple of Philippines typhoons back in the 1980's, earthquakes all up and down the US Left coast from San Diego up to Adak island way out on the Aleutian chain and in between.

It is kinda creepy knowing ahead of time when a disaster is coming vs. an unexpected shake.
"It is kinda creepy knowing ahead of time..."

It is, but I like that better :)
Last edited on
ironically, I live in the middle of nowhere and the yahoos (I can call them that, being one myself) here are 'preppers'. Meaning a good % of us could manage for a solid month without leaving our home (or wherever we hid the stash) even without power or water. The odds of needing that are about zero here. Meanwhile big city FL folks never seem to have plywood, chainsaws, or food/water stashed even though this is like every other year.

Best of luck... they don't seem to know where this one is going, so I hope you have an exit plan or a safe place if it heads your way. I think its going to fizzle before it gets state side. I have no proof of this.
"I think its going to fizzle before it gets state side. I have no proof of this."

...and yet, as you post it, it is :)
I think its going to fizzle before it gets state side.

Cat 2 storm now, so fizzle it did.

Slammed the Bahamas, though.

The news stations sure hyped how bad it would be for FL and further up the US East Coast.
the 'news' is heavily invested in (weather == climate change) and are actually cheering on the destruction and damage. Well that, and big storms actually get someone to look at their failing sites.

The 'news' really should have more compassion for the people that were hit and less 'but it might rain in CT later this week" stories. There is a little bit about the Bahamas but most of it is still 'but when will it hit US?' and drivel.

** I am neither a climate change alarmist nor denier. I am simply observing here. I am very much an environmentalist but I believe things we do should actually work (eg led lightbulbs) rather than waste time, money, and not work (eg compact fluorescent toxic bulbs) or (ethanol (burns dirty and damages cars) vs propane/hydrogen). That puts me in an awkward place, given the junk solutions my 'allies' tend to propose, like 1000 acres to make a kilowatt with wind on a good day.
Last edited on
The news stations sure hyped how bad it would be for FL and further up the US East Coast.

IMO, folks looking for a forecast instead of bullshit should direct attention to NOAA's https://www.hurricanes.gov and not mainstream news media.
Last edited on
Supposedly the news stations were using the weather services for info, they were over-hyping the reports.

After the storm went Cat 2 many of the talking heads almost sounded disappointed there wasn't more destruction soon to happen.

Even a Cat 2 can be destructive and deadly, just not as much as a Cat 5. The Bahamas suffered a 5.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.