Programming jobs for a young teen - Any demand?

Hello,

My son is a C++ programmer. I believe he needs to build a portfolio and freelance as suggested by professional programmers.
What we NEED are real world projects, already in place, he can replicate.
We think there is no sense in practicing with scripts that will never see the day of light.

If anyone can provide the material and guidance you wish you could give to an apprentice or a prodigy, we will certainly give it the value and appreciation it deserves.
The kid isnt going to take any nobel prizes, but he works and puts 100% focus and effort into it.

While I worked at Pfizer, I was in the project compliance team. UAT, CUR/CFS, work flow management and trackwise were the tools we used to develop and deploy our software projects.
If you happen to have a c++ project with formal documentation, I guess the confidential information can be stripped out and we would be still have a real world project to put together.

We appreciate your time for taking the time to review this posting.

How old is your son?
closed account (z05DSL3A)
hellboy702 wrote:
What we NEED are real world projects, already in place, he can replicate.
We think there is no sense in practicing with scripts that will never see the day of light.

Get involved with open source projects...
Reading through corporate-written formal documentation doesn't sound very fun for a young teen... why not have him make a small game or something? What does a script "seeing the light of day" even mean? Because I honestly don't know. Is he enjoying this, or are you pushing him into it?

But anyway, yeah if you want "real world" projects, look into open source projects like Grey Wolf said, plenty of them are around. Is there anything in particular your son wants to program? Give him the resources and libraries necessary for that. If you want to show off the portfolios, have him use a service like GitHub to host code he creates (but this is really early since he's just a kid, it's well before any potential employer would be looking at it).
Last edited on
@Grey Wolf, it is not that easy, specially with programming languages like C or C++. Open projects need experienced programmers.
Inbox me.
CroCo wrote:
it is not that easy, specially with programming languages like C or C++. Open projects need experienced programmers.
Of course it is. While you are gaining experience you can keep you modifications to yourself but you are working with real life code and interacting with people that, in my experience, are more than happy to offer advice.
We appreciate the input.

The responses give us a feel for the challenges ahead. Exploring unfamiliar areas and ideas is how everything evolves. I grew up without web/internet. We are fortunate to pass messages along over vast distances and communicate in a forum comfortably.

Croco, we wil message you privately.

Thanks.
closed account (367kGNh0)
I am a teen aswell who has mastered c++, I use the UI engine cocos2d-x with C++ to make games, And will make a fairly simple but likely popular (as it's unique) android app. Perhaps I and him can make this game in unison?
Last edited on
Rascake,

Giorgio would be happy to be involved in your game.
at the very least you can have the input of another programmer from a player point of view.
He is about 12 years old.
I am not sure how old you are.
Unique is the word which always carries the most interest.
closed account (367kGNh0)
Colder's fish.
Last edited on
Understood Rascake.

I have made the change on the account and enabled private messaging.
we are on the PST time zone.

@Grey Wolf, I'm an advanced-intermediate C++ programmer. I've built several apps with Qt using C++. I've searched the Internet a lot about being a programmer in an open project but I couldn't. I'm willing to work if you can guide me to any open project that accepts me. Please inbox me for private chat.
CroCo, I would suggest you start a new thread to gain more info from a broad spectrum as well give more detail about what you are looking for. From your post above, you seem to be trying to get in on the inner circle of a project, that would be hard but in general find a project that interests you, get the code, study it, extend it, submit a pull request and take part in the forums for it.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.