Brain Teasers, Riddles, etc...

Pages: 123... 6
I'm watching "The Office" right now, and it is the one where Dwight tries to tell Ryan a bunch of brainteasers, only he fails because Ryan has heard all of them. I was wondering if anyone had any they would like to share. Just curious.
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
If an unstoppable force were to try to move an unmovable object, what would happen?
Last edited on
That's a paradox, not a riddle. And it's improperly formulated, too.

"What happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object?"
closed account (z05DSL3A)
What word is so fragile that it is broken when spoken?
Silence.

Edit:
@computerquip,
They go through each other according to quantumn tunneling (according to my friend).
Last edited on
An electric train is speeding along northward at 100 mph. The wind is blowing from the southeast to the northwest at 15 miles per hour. (Assume bearings are exact.) In which direction does the smoke blow?
It's an electric train. It doesn't make smoke.
Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn yooooooooooooooooou!
I got that instantly :) And Grey Wolf's one too.

MOAR
Last edited on
Three people check into a hotel. They pay £30 to the manager and go to their room. The manager suddenly remembers that the room rate is £25 and gives £5 to the bellboy to return to the people. On the way to the room the bellboy reasons that £5 would be difficult to share among three people so he pockets £2 and gives £1 to each person. Now each person paid £10 and got back £1. So they paid £9 each, totalling £27. The bellboy has £2, totalling £29. Where is the missing £1?

Four people have to cross a bridge... It's very dark and they only have one flashlight... They can't make it across without some light.

No more than two people can cross at a time.

Phil can cross the bridge in 1 minute.
Karen can cross in 2 minutes.
Stinky can cross in 5 minutes.
Bubba can cross in 10 minutes.

How can they all get across in 17 minutes?
Are moral dillemmae acceptable as well?

@Grey Wolf:
If the light is carried by someone slower on the bridge who had a head start than someone who is faster but had no head start, could both still cross? If so, they can all cross in 10 minutes.

-Albatross
Last edited on
Erm, I think you misunderstood.

The flashlight has to go back and forth across the bridge so that they can see the way. Only two people can be on the bridge at the same time and they travel at the speed of the slowest.
So if Phil and Bubba crossed it would take 10 minutes, then one of them would have to bring the flash light back, say phil, for another minute (11 minutes so far) then two more would cross and so on.

Edit:
The person that first told me about the bridge one also said that it was on a Microsoft test. The candidates had to solve it in under five minutes or they went no further.

If you do solve it It would be good to not post the answer so that other can give it a go. ;0)
Last edited on
Edit: Answer hidden.

A Microsoft Test? Wow, that's a first. [/microsoftabuse]

-Albatross
Last edited on
You're in front of a maze with three entrances. Only one leads to the exit. The entrances are watched by three guards who know the correct entrance, but they'll only answer yes or no questions:
One always tells the truth.
One always lies.
One stabs people who ask tricky questions.
@Grey Wolf,
I think I solved it your bridge one (I did it quickly), I'll PM you my answer.
Edit: No, I can only get 19 minutes...

@helios,
How many questions can you ask?
Last edited on
I can find out which guard is truthful in two questions:
Are there three entrances to this maze? (Truthful guard)
When posed with any question, do you only answer it, regardless of the question?

Sorry chris.

You're on Let's Make a Deal, with Monty Hall as your host. You have been told that when on the show, you will have three doors, two with donkeys and one with a car, and when you choose one, Monty will open one of the other doors, revealing a donkey, and give you a chance to switch your door. When you get on the show, indeed you do get three doors, and when you choose one, a wrong answer is shown, and you have a choice to change the door. What is the probability that changing the door will get you the car?

-Albatross
Last edited on
What, no one got the reference? Sigh...

You can ask as many questions as you want, and Albatross, the second question has at most a 1/3 chance of getting you stabbed.
@Grey Wolf,
The one about the hotel,
30 - 2 = 28
28 - (3 * 1) = 25
There is no missing money, you did the calculation in the wrong order (on purpose, obviously).
What, no one got the reference? Sigh...

I got the reference.

xkcd ftw
Pages: 123... 6