why i have come to this site

Pages: 12
Sure a 6yr old might not have the discipline to spend hours a day learning C++ but they could begin to learn it if they were interested and taught by a patient teacher.

That's what I meant.
:) Sry Chris. Im a teacher at heart and hate it when people try to put limits on what a person is capable of learning. It doesn't matter how old you are or how smart you are, if you want to learn something and you put the effort forth you can do it.
:) Sry Chris. Im a teacher at heart and hate it when people try to put limits on what a person is capable of learning. It doesn't matter how old you are or how smart you are, if you want to learn something and you put the effort forth you can do it.

I disagree. Intelligence is more to do with nature than nurture, IMO. If you put the effort in, you will learn what you want; yes. However, due to the nature of some, they cannot learn this subject. If they put the mental effort in, they would maybe be able to. But they don't. Why? Because programming isn't for them. That is the distinction between learning something and not learning it, IMO.
I'd have to say I agree with chris on this topic.
Because programming isn't for them. That is the distinction between learning something and not learning it
If they put the mental effort in, they would maybe be able to. But they don't. Why? Because programming isn't for them. That is the distinction between learning something and not learning it

I completely agree with you on that. As evidence let me direct you to the if statement in my last post.
if (you_want_to_learn == true && you_put_the_effort_forth == true)
    { 
        you_can_do_it == "Heck Yeah, you can"
    }
IMO intelligence is more to do with personality than mind power. People say "anyone can do a PhD in Physics, Maths or Chemistry, if they put the effort in." Yes, but they won't. Their personality says so.

This also has alot to do with why I hate the majority of my generation. They're so caught up being "cool" (the way to become cool seems to be to disrespect everyone, have lots of 'friends' who don't really like you and play sports 24/7. Also set up a facebook, myspace, <insert social networking site here> and have lots of friends over the internet, then make fun of people who say "Yeah, I was talking to this guy on the internet. He was pretty cool." Oh and for good measure you should wear the same clothes, use the same language and generally try to be the same as everyone else. You also pretend to like the people seen as "unpopular" (when we use the word "friend" we generally mean it, someone who you "go to the skatepark with innit and then get drunk with and steal drugs from" isn't your friend) when it suits you, such as when you haven't done your homework) that they never seem to realise that in ten years when they're celebrating their 25th birthday packing bags in a supermarket, the rest of us who bothered in school will be driving around in awesome cars going to our awesome jobs or whatever. Well... I hope so, anyway. It would be fun if one of the people who epitomises this image (of being cool with loads of 'friends' and expensive clothes (I tend to wear plain shirts and jeans that cost £2.50; I'm not cheap and I could probably afford more expensive clothes... but really, why? I could spend that money on something more interesting. Also, I quote "I like being a chav* because it makes you look good and look expensive") ended up working for me... that would be a lot of fun.

In short; I can't stand 80% of people my age.

*Chavs are... well as usual Wikipedia explains it best. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chav

I also would like to add that the vast majority of female chavs (known by those I want to kill as "birds", which I assume is a reference to what their arms will look like in five years) who are "buff" (that's not volatile char* buf, it means attractive I think) tend to end up fat and ugly with babies coming out of their ears (I think that's where they come from, anyway).
Last edited on
My dream was first to have a online arcade, but now i decided to started to start small and become a game designer, but i looked for game designing software but didn't find the one i was looking for, so i decided to make my own game designing software but i couldn't out how so i joined yahoo aswers and some one recomended c++ to me so i can to find how to be build my own game designing software. I'm still learning. But after some years of game desiging i will own my online arcade.

I think your getting the definition of game design software wrong. There are really three maybe four types of software related to games.

1. The game itself, if purely focused on a specific type of game. Pong for example, is written just to be pong, nothing else. This requires pure coding.

2. A game engine that provides the APIs to develop a game of the specific type. For example some game engines specialize in First Person Shooters, some RPGs, etc... You wouldn't try to make a footbal game with the unreal engine for example. Not that it isn't possible without some changes, but you get the point. This requires coding and typically a set of tools to make life easier.

3. Designer tools (Level/World Editors/etc...), these are typically tools used by the Level Designers, Game Designers, Scripters, etc... These tools typically do not require immense technical skills, but many integrate scripting for advanced editing.

I really can't tell which your are really looking for, but it sounds like a combination of a game engine and the tools to make different games. Note that coding will still be required even if you develop a solid core engine.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.
Pages: 12