why i have come to this site

Pages: 12
My dream was first to have a online arcade, but now i decided to started to start small and become a game designer, but i looked for game designing software but didn't find the one i was looking for, so i decided to make my own game designing software but i couldn't out how so i joined yahoo aswers and some one recomended c++ to me so i can to find how to be build my own game designing software. I'm still learning. But after some years of game desiging i will own my online arcade.
That is a great dream.

By online arcade I assume you mean a flash game site like www.mofunzone.com You really don't need to learn programming to make that happen. If you would like some help on how to get started send me an PM.
Don't dive into game design first. Learn c++, then once you feel ready and more comfortable with the language - jump into making some small games.
Why not? My first program was a game. It was simple and basic, with no classes and nothing more complicated than a for loop, but it was a game. Just don't expect anything fancy right away.
I just think it's smart to learn pointers and functions for example first. So when you do decide to make a small game demo - you'll understand better ways of designing them at the beginning.
But the thing is i want to be able to build my own game designing tool so that way i can make the games the way i like them and it will be easy.Where as game designing software is easy to use but you can't make the games of your dreams or you have learn the how to use the software where as you can build the software,plan it out and know everything about it.But c+ may be hard but i will learn it.
Look at the other few topics you've made. Download C++ - Do a few tutorials from this site. Possible take a look at a few lessons from http://www.reddit.com/r/carlhprogramming/ - Then make a couple of small games / programs yourself in C++.

You'll come to realize that making a designing tool isn't the easiest thing to do in the world. But if you can grasp a language and start to make some progress. Down the path somewhere you should one day be able to make some form of designing tool.
My first program that was over 100 lines was a "game". It was essentially
Oh no, the pirates boarded your ship!
Action [draw <weapon>/attack/run]: draw knife
You drew your knife!
Action [stab/run]: stab
You stabbed the pirate!
In my mind something like that is still c++ focused. No external libraries or images are being used. You can still create a form of game - Number guessing game what ever. Point being is he wants to make a designer. So if he sits there for hours trying to figure out how to use an image for example he may run into a bit of trouble.
He will need extensive knowledge of pointers; especially memory allocation, video modes, etc. It will take a long time to get that far, at least a year; probably longer. He'd probably have to learn assembly; plotting pixels with ASM is much faster than with higher level languages...

There's a tutorial on the "Source code" page on loading bitmaps so when he gets to that level he could learn it...
Agreed.
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
Game programming isn't as easy as you think. It's very complex containing a LOT of mathematical algorithms that are complex and very difficult to understand. It also requires knowledge of how a PC works or in many cases a preset game console which has a limited amount of memory that is dedicated to your game. It requires the knowledge of a LOT of rendering techniques and most likely the use of OpenGL (and hopefuly not DirectX but I guess that's your choice).

Though your idea of a console game like above is by nature a game, it has no graphics, it's very simple, and it probably won't attract a lot of attention. And whatever you do, please move with the times, go with something cross-platform so you can add the 20,000 people of Linux and Mac users who play games.

Of course everyone has to start somewhere. Start by making example programs to help your understanding of how game programming works. The more you code, the more you can add to your resume and your portfolio as well.
I think building games withing would tough wich is why i'm plan to build my own game designer tool which will be tough also but its worth it.Can you guys tell me about tools you made and give me more advice.
Here's some advice, take the advice we've been giving you this whole time, read some tutorials, and actually learn the language.

However I recommend you learn Python before C++; C++ is hard. I learnt it first and I regret it; it was difficult to get used to programming and programming in C++ at the same time. It will be easier if you learn Python first.
Here's some advice, take the advice we've been giving you this whole time, read some tutorials, and actually learn the language.

Thank you :)
"I think building games withing would tough wich is why i'm plan to build my own game designer tool"

Writing a program that can build games is harder than writing a game. It's a good idea, but you will need to have a very good understanding of game programming to succeed. You'll get this understanding by following the advice the others have given you: start small, grow your project as your understanding grows. After you've written a couple of games and understand the issues involved, then you can tackle your game designer.

Most interesting games today are like most interesting movies, a product of the efforts of a large team. If your real interest is in game design, you may want to think about focusing on that and teaming up with others who have an interest in programming, marketing, and business investment.

Have fun : )
Most interesting games today are like most interesting movies, a product of the efforts of a large team. If your real interest is in game design, you may want to think about focusing on that and teaming up with others

Very true. Many people who like making games focus on 1 area like character graphics or game algorithms or story line or music or sound effects. Making a quality game requires 100s of hours to be spent on the tiniest details. Something as basic as walking may require 6 or more images to be draw up. Imagine the time it would take to design 20 weapons each with a special move requiring 50 frames (just under 2 seconds of video) to be drawn up and synced.

While it is possible to create a killer game yourself, you must think reasonably. To complete game like Halo would require 100,000s man hours, from people that are very good at what they do. Don't quote me here but I believe it took more than 3yrs to complete Halo 3**. Imagine the time it would take 1 person or a small team to complete a game like that.

You have to consider the type of equipment your game will run on. Obviously if you spend 3 years building a highly graphic game, you do not design it to run on a 400$ computer from walmart. You design it for a 2000$ gaming computer because you know that a 2000$ computer today will be the 400$ computer then.

DO NOT GIVE UP!!!
You are 14 years old. Still very young. If you begin learning now by the time you complete high school you could become very competent in whatever area you choose. Add a formal college education to that and you have all the tool you need to become unstoppable in the game design industry. Who knows, you may even run your own billion $$ gaming design company.

The designers at Bungie Studios, creators of the Halo series, have been tweaking this installment for the past three years. Now it's crunch time, and they need to know: Does Halo 3 rock?

http://www.wired.com/gaming/virtualworlds/magazine/15-09/ff_halo?currentPage=all

Last edited on
14 - Wow, Endless possibilities there.
I would also recommend you go to university. It's good to have qualifications; everyone else does. If you don't it disadvantages you.

I think around the age of 13/14 is the best time to start programming. At 13 you should have the mental capacity to learn; before then, your mind may not be developed enough, howevert at 15/16 you have exams to worry about... I do, anyway. You also have alot more free time before the age of 18 then at any other point in you life (except for after the age of 65; when you will probably have retired).
. At 13 you should have the mental capacity to learn; before then, your mind may not be developed enough

What the hell man? A person of any age can learn anything he/she is taught. Sure a 6yr old might not have the discipline to spend hours a day learning C++ but they could begin to learn it if they were interested and taught by a patient teacher.

There are programming languages designed for young children. Scratch was made for kids as young as 6yrs old.
http://scratch.mit.edu/

BTW, you can build games with Scratch. When i was checking it out last year I came across a pokemon remake that was just like the original. It only had 2 towns though.
Last edited on
Pages: 12