How easy will C++ be for me?

Ok,
So i have been studing C++ for the last 13 days, and i find it easy so far. Now you might be asking why i am asking if C++ will be easy for me when i know its easy.... But its easy for now because i know vb.net very well but yeah so far i know the basics like variable creation, if, loops. But will it eventually get hard for me? I dont know OOP that well as my class in college did not touch on OOP on VB.net that much =(.
If you have a good book and determination anyone could do it really
It's NOT gonna be hard in any way, cause we programmers will always be there to help you :)
hardest place is pointers, OOP need good book and it will be easy. But everything can be learned :D

P.S. in programing hardest part isn't programing, but problem understanding and finding a solution for it.
Last edited on
Learning the language of C++ is fairly easy. It's learning how to solve problems that takes time. This pertains to any programming language.

The OOP in C++ may seem daunting at first but if you can learn it you can quickly adapt the OOP concepts of languages like Java, C#, VB, Ruby, etc fairly easily.

OOP is much more than learning the concepts though. You must learn to think in terms of objects and in that case it will carry over to any OOP language.

I am an OOP geek myself so I will give you some easy pointers. When trying to solve a problem using OOP simply circle the nouns and underline the verbs. The nouns are potential classes and the verbs are potential methods. After that try to establish has-a relationships and is-a relationships.

A Student (has-a) courses. (Student class contains a container of courses)

A Principal (is-a) faculty. (Principal class inherits Faculty class)

Have Fun!
Last edited on
Learning the language of C++ is fairly easy.

You mean the keywords?

Edit: http://ideone.com/6nJDc
Last edited on
You need to stop showing off Catfish, no wonder I don't have as many noobs to help anymore =(

Also, it displays class One's id first, then struct Two's id, correct?

Also, do you NEED destructors? Or are they implied?
Also, it displays class One's id first, then struct Two's id, correct?

That's not how I'd describe it.
You know what, I'll just edit my previous post and put it on ideone.com.

Also, do you NEED destructors? Or are they implied?

In this case you need to declare the base class' destructor as virtual. It's a rule.
Ugh, I still have a lot to learn -.-

I should have just ran the code instead of being a lazy bum. That aside, C++ is only as difficult as you make it. In all honesty, learn as much as you possibly can, and practice practice practice until you know exactly what's going on. Go outside of your comfort level to understand different code, new syntax, and different kinds of logic.

C++ consists of a lot of ways to do the same thing, learn the different ways. I don't feel comfortable with pointers yet, which is why I didn't understand Catfish2's code until I saw how it worked, but I have been trying to comprehend the pointers thing since it's really been holding me back.

Take it slow, you're not on a time schedule so you have the privilege to work at your own pace unlike a lot of students. If you end up taking a programming class or two, you'll be much further ahead than most of the class.

To put it simply, research, test, modify, expand. These will allow you to get better at C++ but try to keep an open mind on different ideas.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.