Converting a int to a char

Hello!

I've run into a problem when I'm trying to insert an int into a string. I'm using the string::insert()-method for this which only accepts a char argument. All the methods which I have used, itoa, stringstreams and so on, only seem to return a char-pointer, which does not work out.

So what I want to do is pretty much
mystring.insert(mystring.begin(), 1, myint(as a char));

Thank you in advance!
well I can't see a problem in passing myint as it is?! Have you tried to do so and got a error or somthing?!
Integers are often more than one character, so you can't pass one to insert into a string. You could use atoi to get a C-string, then insert each character, I suppose.
You can do an explicit cast: mystring.insert(mystring.begin(), 1, (char)myint));. But an integer will implicity cast into a char so I cant really see an issue. Rembmer than an int is always bigger than a char so the value of your int may not fit into the char properly.
Last edited on
That will work, but it won't do what OP intended. Casting to a char will give you the character at that ASCII value, not insert the numbers as characters.
None of the above works out, or I'm simply doing it the wrong way. Here's an example:

string Output;
if(_iNumber < _iBase)
{
char * lechar = NULL;
itoa (_iNumber, lechar, 10);
Output.insert(Output.begin(), 1, lechar);
}

Output.insert() will complain about lechar as an argument because it is of type * char.
Another example:

string Output;
if(_iNumber < _iBase)
{
char lechar;
itoa(_iNumber, lechar, 10);
Output.insert(Output.begin(), 1, lechar);
}

itoa() will complain about lechar as an argument because it is of type char and not * char.

I really feel that this shouldn't be so hard. :(
Example :
	std::string str = ", hello";
	int h = 123456;
	std::string h_string;
	//conversion
	std::stringstream s;
	s<< h;
	s>>h_string;
	//inserting
	for(std::string::reverse_iterator it = h_string.rbegin(); it != h_string.rend();++it)
	{
		str.insert(str.begin(),*it);
	}
	std::cout<<str;
Try this:
std::ostringstream ss;
ss << mystring << myint;
mystring = ss.str();

If you are using C++11 you can also try this:
mystring = std::to_string(myint) + mystring;
Last edited on
What if he wanted to insert at a certain pos in string.

Another example but thise use size_t pos not iterators:
std::string str = ", hello";
	int h = 12122;
	char h_string[33];// max bits for a integer on 32-bit
	//;
	sprintf(h_string,"%d",h);// or _itoa(h,h_string,10)
	//inserting
	str.insert(0,std::string(h_string));
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.