Error Building and Running

Hello there, i have recently started messing around with some C++ tutorials and currently using Dev-C++ to complete every action that i need to try, please note that its my very first experience at coding and im having a hard time starting off :( , i have joined this forum hoping that i will find people that wont mind helping me out a little, from what i read from my tutorials, i've understood some basic commands, and i just thought that i'd try this out, (which turns out not to work) , i was hoping you guys could tell me, If my code is absolutely wrong, or maybe it just has a mistake or two, please understand that i need this kind of method for my improvement, as simply reading tutorials isnt helping me :(

Code:

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main()
{
    int x,y

cout << "Write a number:" << endl;
    cin >> x ;
    cout <<"Write another number" << endl;
    cin >> y ;
    cout <<"Wanna know the summ of those two numbers?" << endl;
    if 
    {
         cin >> yes
    then
        cout << x + y << endl;
    else
        cin >> no
        cout <<" Ok. " << endl; 
    }

cout <<"Press the enter key to exit";
    cin.ignore(cin.rdbuf()->in_avail() + 1);
    return 0;
}

Errors that im getting while trying to compile:

9 D:\PROGRAMMING SECTION\GameOver!\GameOver!.cpp expected init-declarator before "cout"

9 D:\PROGRAMMING SECTION\GameOver!\GameOver!.cpp expected `,' or `;' before "cout"

12 D:\PROGRAMMING SECTION\GameOver!\GameOver!.cpp `y' undeclared (first use this function)

15 D:\PROGRAMMING SECTION\GameOver!\GameOver!.cpp expected `(' before '{' token

I kept trying to figure out how or what to do to fix the errors, but ... i guess you can imagine where im standing :( , right in middle of a dense fog without knowing which way im headed. Enlighten me please :(
Missing semicolon on line 6, 15 and 19.
Last edited on
Hmmm :) Thank you Peter, fixed those, and this is the current code now, but still with one error

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main()

{
    int x,y;

cin >> x ;
    cin >> y ;
    if 
    { 

cin >> yes;
    then
        cout << x + y << endl;
    else
        cin >> no;
        cout <<" Ok. " << endl; 
    }

cout <<"Press the enter key to exit";
    cin.ignore(cin.rdbuf()->in_avail() + 1);
    return 0;
}

Errors While trying to Compile :

D:\PROGRAMMING SECTION\GameOver!\GameOver!.cpp In function `int main()':
15 D:\PROGRAMMING SECTION\GameOver!\GameOver!.cpp expected `(' before '{' token

Cant seem to know what to do at this point :( , i tried the ( before { but didnt work ...
closed account (zb0S216C)
The closing brace of if must appear before else. Also, what's then doing there? Furthermore, where's if's condition?

Wazzak
Last edited on
Thank you Wazzak ;) , you made me struggle for quite awhile,and this is the solution i came up with to my problem.

#include <iostream>
#include <string>

using namespace std;

int main()

{
    int x,y;

cin >> x ;
    cin >> y ;
    string ms1;
    cin >> ms1;
    if(ms1=="yes"){cout << x+y << endl; }
    else if(ms1=="no"){cout << "Ok." << endl; }

return 0;
 }

I continued reading further on another tutorial and found out the proper use of Strings, so now, when i ask if you want to know the summ of those two numbers whatever answer is written ,yes,or no, it gets stored in ms1 (mystring1) , than i checked if ms1=="yes" and continued the action that i needed , the summary of those two numbers , and if ms1=="no" you will get a simple answer of Ok.

PS. However, i still havent figured out how to prevent the screen from closing when i press enter, i am very curious to know if i can make it close with ESC key instead.
Last edited on
By default, the console will immediately close after the processing of the last instruction. You can stop this by:

In Visual C++ Studio:

int main( )
{
    std::cin.ignore( std::numeric_limits< std::streamsize >::max( ), '\n' );
    return( 0 );
}

In MinGW:

int main( )
{
    std::cin.ignore( INT_MAX, '\n' );
    return( 0 );
}

Wazzak
i am using Dev-C++ , and this code is 'pausing' the immediate closure until i press a key to close it,

#include <iostream>

cin.clear();
cin.ignore(255, '\n');
cin.get();

the #include <iostream> as usual on the beginning, but the rest of the code, right before the return 0; command :)
Dev-C++ is old software, and seriously out-dated. I'd suggest that you upgrade to a newer IDE, such as Code::Blocks (MinGW) or Visual C++ Express 2010.

Wazzak
Hmmm i shall look into it, thanks for your suggestion:)
@Framework: you are making look as it was a compiler extension. Both codes are standard c++ and should work with any compiler (provided that you included the proper headers).
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.