would this work

okay i have made some collision code for pong but when i test it my pong crashes just as it opens and it had no error codes so i dont't know how to google a solution to the problem thus i am un able to work out where i went wrong so i need a hand in locating the problem, i must of done something wrong for it to crash but i cant see what i did. Here is the code i made for the collision.

Why does programming have to be so hard to understand >.<

{
if(rightpaddle_x >= mballx && rightpaddle_x <= (mballx + ball_width) ||
(rightpaddle_x + paddle_width ) >= mballx && (rightpaddle_x + paddle_width ) <= (mballx + ball_width))

if(rightpaddle_y >= mbally && rightpaddle_y <= ( mbally + ball_length) ||
(rightpaddle_y + paddle_length) >= mbally && (rightpaddle_y + paddle_length) <= ( mbally +ball_length))
//The ball and paddle appear to overlap.
return true;
//The ball and the paddle appear to NOT overlap:
return false;
}

thats the collision code and if you want a list of the varriables i use here they are

float backgroundx = 0;
float backgroundy = 0;
float mballx = 492; // 'M' stand for metroid.
float mbally = 384;
float ballxspeed = 4;
float ballyspeed = 2;
float rightpaddle_1x = 990;
float rightpaddle_1y = 20;
float leftpaddle_2x = 15;
float leftpaddle_2y = 450;
float ballrside = mballx + 40;
float position = 0;
float paddle_width = 5;
float paddle_length = 15;
float ball_width = 2.5;
float ball_length = 5;
Can't you just test your collision function with a bunch of data to see if it works? The code you have posted will not be able to crash the program by itself. Best is to run your program through a debugger to see what is going wrong.
i am running though the debugger in VS 2010 and it contains no errors just crashes. well it opens for a couple of second then ends and i cant locate the error cause none of the code is wrong in a sense....i might have something terminating or doing something it shouldn't do but its not telling me so i am at a loss as to what i should do and it only started to crash after i added this code....so the it has to be in there.
Last edited on
Are you sure the program crashes? Couldn't it be that the program terminates normally by returning from main or calling std::exit?
i cant locate any reason why it would terminate, i guess there is a line of code that is doing but i cant see where >.<
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.