2D Array as Parameter w/ Unknown Size

Is it possible to pass 2D arrays as a parameter without knowing the size? The effect I'm trying to get is:

void print(double a[][], int row, int col){//Print 2D array}

That way I can just make a method that works with different sizes. I was thinking of using pointers to get around needing to set a size, but I'm not sure how to go about it. So, is there a way to do this:

void print(double **a, int row, int col){//Print 2D array}

I'm trying to make a matrix class.
Last edited on
Those two functions are in fact, identical. Arrays passed to functions are automatically converted to pointers. The method you are showing would be a standard way to handle an array passed as a parameter...though wouldn't you want this function to be a method of your matrix class, and have it print the internal array?
Yeah, I had it implemented as a class method, but I just wanted to see if I can rewrite print just to test out pointers. I still can't seem to get it to work. If I use the second function, it doesn't work with my 2D array.

double A[2][2] = {{1, 2}, {2, 3}}
print(A, 2, 2);

It gives me an error. "cannot convert parameter 1 from 'double [2][2]' to 'double **"
pass in (&A,2,2) instead
If I use (&A, 2, 2) I get: "cannot convert parameter 1 from 'double (*)[2][2]' to 'double **'"
Last edited on
You can't convert the 2D array to a double**. It's a common misconception.

To pass the 2D array you have to at least specify the second size.
void print(double a[][2], int rows){}

Another way is to use templates
template <int ROWS, int COLS>
void print(double (&a)[ROWS][COLS]){} 
Last edited on
Ah, you are right. Would the row/col indexing be horrible cumbersome if you just passed a plain ol' pointer to double?
Using functions it would be better to define the maximum possible value your array could acquire... then pass the array
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.