Euler 14 Help

Hi All,

Hope you don't mind me asking this here. I'm new to C++ having learnt Python and BASIC years ago at school I figured it was time to learn a 'real' programming language.

I've been working my way through the Euler problems, but problem 14 is stumping me... The problem (http://projecteuler.net/problem=14) is Collatz' Problem, which should (I thought) be fairly simple to solve using an iterative method.

I have googled and googled, but haven't found anyone else with a similar problem with me. I am 95% sure that the problem doesn't involve integer overloads or similar (but I am using long long int just incase).

I know this is probably not the quickest of methods, and if I was going to speed I would have used a dynamic method, storing solutions as I went.

So here is my code:
#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

long long int noIts(long long int n)
{
    /* This itterative function returns the number of iterations to get to n = 1.
    The only variable which we are working with is n, the current number in the Collatz
    Sequence.
    The function returns the number of iterations which it takes n to get to n = 1
    */

if (n == 1)
        //Have we reached the end of the sequence?
        return 1;

if (n % 2 == 0)
        //If n is even
        return (noIts(n/2) + 1);
    else
        //If n is odd
        return (noIts(3*n + 1) + 1);

}

int main()
{
    //the maximum number which we will loop to
    long int const maxStart = 1e6;

//to store the number with the most iterations so far
    long int iMax = -1;

//loop through all numbers bellow maxStart
    for (long int i = 1; i <= maxStart; i++)
    {
        if (iMax < noIts(i))
            iMax = i;
    }

//display the final solution
    cout << iMax << endl;

return 0;
}

Now this code keeps giving me the solution 35655 (after about a second of working), which apparently uses 324 iterations to get to 0, but the Euler website keeps telling me I'm wrong.

I have spent a long time looking over this, making small changes, and trying to debug, but I can't find where I have gone wrong.

If anyone can give me a hint as to where I should be looking, it would be very much appreciated!

Cheers

Adam

PS. If it helps, I am using Ubuntu 11.10, gpp to compile, and Code::Blocks to write
Last edited on
Read aloud
        if (iMax < noIts(i))
            iMax = i;
Sequence lengths for many of the smaller values would be needed millions of times. Expending a little memory for remembering the values which have been computed earlier would be worth while.

@adam webb - do not read any further before you have fixed the error pointed out by ne555 and got your program to work.

#include <iostream>
#include <vector>

enum { N = 1000000 + 1 } ;

inline long long next( long long n ) { return n%2==0 ? n/2 : n*3+1 ; }

int seq_length( long long n, std::vector<int>& remembered )
{
    if( ( n <  N ) && remembered[n] ) return remembered[n] ;
    int len = 1 + seq_length( next(n), remembered ) ;
    if( n <  N ) remembered[n] = len ;
    return len ;
}

int main()
{
    std::vector<int> remembered(N) ;
    remembered[1] = 1 ;

int longest = 1 ;
    int max_len_so_far = 1 ;
    for ( int i = 1 ; i <  N ; ++i )
    {
        int len = seq_length( i, remembered ) ;
        if( len > max_len_so_far )
        {
            max_len_so_far = len ;
            longest = i ;
        }
    }

std::cout << longest << " sequence length: " << max_len_so_far << '\n' ;
}

Thanks chaps, I'd found the error after ne555s first comment, I knew it would be something simple like that, but no matter how many times I read through the code I could not find it...

And JL, thanks very much for your input... I know that a dynamic approach would be better, but given my code still runs in a little over a second, I figured it wasn't worth the while... But thankyou very much for your snippit, it's good to see an example like that at my stage in learning!

THanks again

AW
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.