Helper files and syntax, but not a relevant error...

Hello. I know all the basics of writing C++, but just recently discovered helper/ ".h" files and projects and am having some difficulties.

Problem:
I have created a .cpp file with a code in it that is supposed to retrieve and return the local system time.
#include <iostream>
#include <time.h>
#include <string>

string t()
{
    string tme;
    time_t rawtime;
    struct tm * timeinfo;
    time(&rawtime);
    timeinfo = localtime(&rawtime);
    tme = asctime(timeinfo);
    return tme;
}

as you can see, it is like any other code, except it will be linked with a .h and a .cpp main file so I can use this function with other .cpp files if i choose. Only problem is that i get these errors when I try to compil/link them:

||=== Debug ===|
c:\program files\codeblocks\mingw\bin\..\lib\gcc\mingw32\4.4.1\include\c++\bits\locale_classes.h|45|error: expected initializer before 'namespace'|
c:\program files\codeblocks\mingw\bin\..\lib\gcc\mingw32\4.4.1\..\..\..\..\include\winnt.h|2422|error: expected declaration before end of line|
||=== Build finished: 2 errors, 0 warnings ===|

here is the .h file (excluding the standard heading, it's implied):

#include <string>
using namespace std;

string t()

and here are the functions That call the t() function:

t1 is initialized as a string because t() returns a string value.
t1 = t();

I can't find any reason why this shouldn't work, but the compiler (MinGW) is (for some reason) having trouble with the "locale_classes.h" file. I think it may be a syntax error on my part, but I may be wrong. As far as I know, these should compile correctly.

I use Code::Blocks with MinGW (i got them as 1, so no trouble putting them together) compiler.

Thank you for your help, I appreciate it.
You need a semicolon on line 4 in the header file.
Thank you! It worked with a couple other corrections as well. I feel like an idiot to miss such a minor detail... lol
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.