an interesting interview question about printing "hello, world" without the execution of the main function

Today I was asked how to print "hello, world" without the execution of the main function.

I failed to answer it and was told that I should consider to define a "const static" function which prints "hello, world".

I only know that a static function inside a class can be called outside it even if it is a private one. But how should const static function related to print "hello, world" without execution of the main function.

Can anybody explain a bit? Thank you!
Last edited on
Maybe

#include <iostream>

using std::cout;
using std::endl;

class thing
{
   public:
     thing(){cout << "hello, world" << endl;};
};

thing myclass;

int main(void)
{
  cout << "Started" << endl;
  return 0;
}

Output
hello, world
Started

You will see that the "hello, world" prints out before "Started" because the global is inited before the main can execute.

Last edited on
Here is another way
#include <iostream>

void* _ = std::cout << "hello, world" << std::endl;

int main(){}

Peter87
Nice. How is that working? I thought that cout<< returned a reference to an ostream and you are assigning that to a void *, so could you explain how it is working?
Last edited on
Hi histrungalot,

Thank you very much. Is what you have done actually taking advantage of forward declaration of a class in which a print function is enclosed?

Hi Peter87,

Can you explain a bit? It's absolutely marvelous. However, I am kind of lost.
The cout part returns a stream object that is implicitly converted to a void* when assigned to the void pointer. Longer explanation follows ...

operator<< returns a reference to the stream object, in this case std::cout. This is what makes it possible to have multiple << but only std::cout once at the beginning of the row.

Streams have operator void*() that allows them to be implicitly converted to a void pointer: http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/iostream/ios/operator_voidpt/ This is a hack to allow easy testing if any error flag is set: if (std::cout) {std::cout << "Nothing wrong with cout!"} This is mostly useful when reading from a stream. _ is the name of the void* variable.

It appears that operator void*() was changed in C++11 to explicit operator bool() so I don't think the code will work in C++11. I didn't know this when I wrote the code. To make it work in C++11 you can replace void* with std::ostream& or auto.
@subjugater, what histrungalot has done is used a constructor. When he initialized a global variable myclass of the type "thing", it made a call to the constructor, which then printed a certain message, before the main could execute...

I don't know if this would work on modern compilers, but it was there in the book from which I learnt C++. You could use something like #define start and #define end...

EDIT: Also, Peter87, you're simply brilliant.. (I did not understand much of what you did there, but still, it looks damn impressive!)... I wish to learn more from you over these forums, as much as possible... :)
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.