If a string begins with a space, does .substr function count it?

Hi there,
I'm learning C++ from Cay Horstmann's "Big C++", and I stumbled upon the following code:

#include <iostream>
#include <string>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
cout << "Enter your full name (first middle last) ";
string first;
string middle;
string last;
cin >> first;
cin >> middle;
cin >> last;
string initials = first.substr(0,1) + middle.substr(0,1) + last.substr(0,1);
cout << "Your initials are " << initials << "\n";

return 0;
}

If I begin middle name with one or more white-spaces, the output does not change. Is this because the .substr begins count only with the first non-whitespace character? For example, if we have the name John David Smith, and I enter,
John
(blank spaces) David
Smith

the output is JDS regardless of whether I type David with or without space before it. This puzzles me. I know that space characters count between two or more words in a string (Hello, World!\n consists of 14 characters total, since the space between the comma and the W is counted). But if I enter a string that begins with a white-space, and I ask .substr to begin count from character 0, does it disregard the space and jump to the first letter?
Any clarification would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Last edited on
cin >> str;
When you read in a string like this it will read the first word and ignore whitespaces. So in you example middle will get the value "David" (without spaces).
Great, thank you Peter87. That is the confirmation I needed. I appreciate your prompt response.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.