Where to download C++ software?

Pages: 1234
I am wanting to learn C++

That is a worthy goal. There are C++ tutorials here at CPlusPlus:
http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/

Or at Learn C++:
https://www.learncpp.com/

Im wanting to build a macro

A macro to do what? Macros are not specific to a programming language.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macro_(computer_science)
Hi @Furry Guy - Are (1) Visual Studio IDE (2) VS 2019 Community (3) Visual Studio Express 3 different compilers?

And can my text editor UltraEdit (which is an IDE) do the compiling?
I think they all use the same one, possibly different versions but the differences will be mostly minor esp to a beginner.

there is also a vs code.

once again, it sure looks like ultraedit has a feature to invoke a compiler. So yes, if you can hook that up, it will work. It may even backfeed the output to a new text document.
Thanks @jonnin - What does "has a feature to invoke a compiler" mean? The version of UltraEdit32 that I have is over 20 years old.
does it have a version number or something we can ID it with?
somewhere on the menu bar or in the settings it has a place where you can say 'run this' (I belive, at least some of the versions have this). You set it up so "run this" is the compiler + flags.
it looks like version 7+ are 32 bit and can run on any windows 32/64 with some poking, and its on 28.1000.500 or something. It also looks like it has had the external tool support 'for a while' so I am guessing you have it.

It also looks awfully expensive for basically a notepad++ like tool.
Last edited on
Version 8.20 I cant find anything about 'run this'. But there is "Run Windows Program". If that means UltraEdit wont compile then I will download VS 2019 Community.
run windows program is exactly what I am talking about, I just can't find any documents with the exact names and interface.
Hi @Furry Guy - After downloading & installing MSYS2 the command window is unhelpful.

Ive tried to download VS 2019 Community but it is around 2.4GB in size & my weekly Internet connection only allows for 2GB, so Ive paused the download.

Im reading & trying to understand the cplusplus.com tutorial. At the start it teaches the "Hello World" program. Then on the right it says "Edit & Run" which uses the websites computer to generate the output.

That does not help me to build a program on my own computer.

The coding will need to enter my computers hard drive & I have no idea on how that is done.

Do I create a file & paste the coding then save it into a folder with a .cpp extension?

Then to open the program enter a link into the Search Command box, or maybe Run Windows Program box within UltraEdit?

The program will need to open either in a browser or in its own shell.

Ive now briefly browsed LearnCpp which does appear to save the files with a .cpp extension, so that tutorial appears to be better. But I will wait for your comment.
Try Code::Blocks if you are concerned about internet file size. Get the codeblocks-20.03mingw-setup.exe file, about 146MB. Includes a decent compiler, though not up to date as VS can be. You won't be able to compile with C++20.

https://www.codeblocks.org/downloads/binaries/

Learn how to use another IDE/editor first as you learn C++. Later you can go back to using your preferred editor if you want.

Trying to shoehorn a compiler into your preferred editor is not something for a beginner. Period.
I'm not sure why the conversation has reverted back to how to run a C++ compiler when (IMO) it's already been established that the problem OP is trying to solve doesn't make a lot of sense.
http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/beginner/278838/2/#msg1204192
Last edited on
forget the c++ language for a moment .. until you can run a local hello world, learning more is a side project.

have you read something like this:
https://www.learncpp.com/cpp-tutorial/introduction-to-the-compiler-linker-and-libraries/
@helios The reason for any kind of reversion is Im a DUMMIE so my apology for not being as clever as you are.
@helios Im not so much of a Dummie with CodeIgniter (CI) however I doubt that any advice would solve my CI problem, so I will test your ability. We are building a website that is different to others. We have created the provision for users to create an advert & we are aware of how to place that advert into ONE category, but we want the advert to be displayed into several categories & CI will not provide for that, particularly with the fwrite function. If we had a macro operating within CI, say within a User Library, similar to that contained in UltraEdit32, then CI would not be as limited as it stands at the moment. A simple macro that will "Find or Select, Copy, Paste & Save" among other common keystrokes and or mouse & arrow movements will avoid the limitations.

I am intending to post a new topic on Macros, which will be in far more detail, after I get my "Hello World" program to work.
Doing things that don't make sense doesn't make you dumb, let alone things that I personally think don't make sense. I'm just trying to understand what you're trying to do, there's no need to feel personally attacked.

We are building a website that is different to others. We have created the provision for users to create an advert & we are aware of how to place that advert into ONE category, but we want the advert to be displayed into several categories & CI will not provide for that, particularly with the fwrite function.
Okay, what I understand from this is that your website currently has a (client-side?) text editor and you ran up against some limitation of your framework that doesn't let you repeat work in some way...
If we had a macro operating within CI, say within a User Library, similar to that contained in UltraEdit32, then CI would not be as limited as it stands at the moment.
...and you want to solve it by giving the user of your website a macro system in the aforementioned text editor so they can record a series of inputs and replay them on each of the desired "categories". Did I get it right?

I really, really do not think you'll be able to leverage C++ to solve your problem. Certainly not to do anything you couldn't do in CodeIgniter, I'll say that much. C++ macros have nothing to do with the macros you're trying to implement in your editor. If you still want to continue this thread out of pure curiosity go ahead, but as far as your original problem goes, I'd suggest exploring different avenues. Try asking in the forums for help: https://forum.codeigniter.com/
@helios - Did I get it right? No, you got it completely wrong as I never said the website currently has a (client-side?) text editor. Im not interested in what you personally think or your opinions. Im only interested in constructive criticism.
ridiculous
@dutch, I couldn't agree more.

@bensan, you are not interested in constructive criticism, you've been given quite a large helping of it by several people.

I'm done with this. I've wasted my time trying to help and going backwards.
A'ight, good luck.
@Furry Guy Im grateful for the help you have provided which I treat as constructive. Im surprised at your state of mind.
I'm not. @dutch made a pretty reasonable (if brief) comment.

You said
Im not interested in what you personally think or your opinions. Im only interested in constructive criticism.

Grammar aside, that doesn't make sense. "Constructive criticism" is generally someone's opinion. It's usually an educated and informed opinion, but an opinion nevertheless.

That said, I have always found @helios, @jonnin, and @Furry Guy's advice to be excellent. You would do well to follow it.
Pages: 1234