problems with compliler

Hello I'm new to programming (and the forum!), and I'm having problems using the compliler can't find any simple instructions (CodeBlocks which was downloaded) does anyone use it? and is it compatitiable with C++, if not what other compilers could I use.

Last edited on
CodeBlocks is an IDE, not a compiler. ( see http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/articles/7263/ )
I use CodeBlocks with no problems, if you have any you must specify what troubles you have
codeblocks will compile C++, but the compiler it uses depends on the operating system you are using. If you have a Mac you should have g++ compiler installed with the developer tools (can be downloaded from the apple website OR from an installation disc they gave you when you bought your machine.) I'm not sure what compiler linux or windows use as these have all been pre-installed on these OS when I go to use them.
@stavros: G++ is an open project and it is therefor compatible with both Linux and Windows. Although for the latter many different compilers are used.
Last edited on
G++ works fine for linux since it's the one I use, you have to download it, either using the synaptic packet manager or else directly from the terminal.....
As for windows there are many compilers, dev++ , borland and many more.
Dev C++ is another IDE ( not a compiler ) and should not be used since is very old.
Borland C++ is even older than Dev C++
well I obsiviously know less than I thought about programming (I don't even know what a compiler is!!!) basically I can't seem to figure out how it works, (there's too many instructions for it)

basically step by step how do you take a given code sequence and build the programme using codeblocks? (if I've even worded that correctly!)
install Codeblocks
if the installation you got doesn't come with a compiler, install a compiler
launch Codebloks, it should detect the installed compilers
create a new project ( console application )
follow the wizard that appears
you should get the Hello World program already written by the IDE
click "Build and Run"
success!
Yes but bazzy that is simple because it is already done, but for us novices who are trying to break into the programming, this code::blocks does not have any sort of help to know where to go and what to do when we get there.
Otherwise we have to bring up that already done code and delete it and use the same window over and over again. I am requiring some help myself and if any one out there has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.
I am kind of getting the used to it but would like to know my way around the compiler a little better otherwise the c++ is just a little bit of reading and understanding and is not that bad
Its just the compiler is harder to understand.
1. Install CodeBlocks
2. Make sure MinGW was installed with it as well. It will be chosen by default as long as you didn't untick the box.
3. Run CodeBlocks

From here on out is simply how I tend to do small projects...

4. Click File, New, File...
5. Click C/C++ Source
6. Click C++ and next
7. Choose a destination and click finish
8. Type your code in the main area (your cursor is already there)
9. Mouse over the icon with a green arrow and and yellow cog. Notice Build and Run
10. Click this button and notice at the bottom it shows the progress
11. Watch your code's output appear!

Hopefully this is specific enough to start you off on your journey programming.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.