Code Fragments!?!?

I need help finding the code fragments in these examples. I'm new to programming so an explanation would be great too!

1. They may be logic or syntax errors only (not style errors) 

min_approx = flooring( min_exact
                       + 15
                       / .5 )
               - 15;

2.  Explain what is wtong with the following Code fragment.  It has nothing to do with the comment.

double rate;
long start_popul, end_popul;
// fill in start and end _popul with data
// (...probably using a cin)
rate = end_popul / start_popul;

what is the name of the method we use to fix this situation and show how it would be applied here?
Last edited on
I need help finding the code fragments in these examples.

A code fragment is simply a piece of code that doesn't make up the whole program. You have posted two code fragments. They are fragments because they are not complete programs.
These are 2 seperate problems. I got the first one, but I'm still stuck on the second. We have to explain what is wrong with the following code fragment.
Why don't you put the code fragment into a program and see what it does. Be sure to set start_popul and end_popul to some different values and print the resulting rate. You will find that the rate is not what you might expect.
Yeah I think I got this one now. Would you have to use a static_cast?

rate = static_cast<double>(end_popul/start_popul);
Would you have to use a static_cast?
Yes, you you have it in the wrong place. static_cast<double>(end_popul/start_popul) still does the integer division and then converts the result to double. You want to convert the operands of the division to double. To do that, you only have to convert 1 and then the compiler will convert the other:
static_cast<double>(end_popul) / start_popul
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.