Unsure between 2 books

Hello, I'm looking to buy a single book that can teach me the ropes to C++ and OOP in general.
Having done my research, I got the list narrowed to only two books:
- Programming : Principles and Practice Using C++, Bjarne Stroustrup;
- C++ Primer, Stanley B. Lippman, Josee Lajoie and Barbara E. Moo.

Some more information that can probably help you is the fact that I'm currently in university and grasp the very basics of languages like Python, C, Scheme and Java (the one I know least).
Put that, which of these books would suit me best?

Thanks in advance.
You should read reviews of the books.

Obligatory link:
http://stackoverflow.com/a/388282/1959975

Both books are listed there with a description/categorization and link to reviews. In fact, they are the first two ones listed.
Last edited on
Thanks for the fast reply.
Unfortunately I've read both reviews but I can't decide, so I was hoping for someone to weight in with their opinion regarding the books and my situation.

From what I gathered, "Programming : Principles and Practice Using C++" goes over C++11 and everything regarding C++ in a very slow pace, since it is written mostly for people without any programming experience.
I'm afraid that will slow me down and make me uninterested in the book.
Personally, I would recommend the book by Bjarne Stroustrup, seeing as he is the creator of C++ and still maintains an active role in the language's development. I have not personally read any book on C++, however.

OOP in C++ is somewhat different than in other languages such as Java - it's not the central focus of the language and so it requires very different thinking about when and how to use OOP. Learn the language first, and then learn how OOP is done in C++.
Last edited on
> "Programming : Principles and Practice Using C++" goes over C++11 and everything regarding C++
> in a very slow pace, since it is written mostly for people without any programming experience.

Yes.
Are you completely new to programming? If you’ve never programmed before, why not learn in modern C++?

Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++, 2nd Ed. is an introduction to programming written by the creator of C++, Bjarne Stroustrup. Thousands of college freshmen taking Stroustrup’s hugely popular Introduction to Programming class at Texas A&M University, and innumerable readers around the world, have learned programming and launched their careers using this book – and modern C++.
https://isocpp.org/get-started

It is primarily a book on programming; it lays emphasis on things that books on language tend to skim over: testing, debugging and using libraries for example.

If you already have general familiarity with aspects of programming, but are new to C++:
Are you new to C++?

Also updated for C++11, the bestselling C++ Primer is one of the most popular books ever for learning C++, written by close colleagues of Bjarne Stroustrup who participated in the development of C++ since its early days.

This authoritative and comprehensive introduction to C++ will help you to learn the language fast, and to use it in modern, highly effective ways. Highlighting today’s best practices, the authors show how to use both the core language and its standard library to write efficient, readable, and powerful code.
https://isocpp.org/get-started
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.