Visual C++ Thread

Hello All,
I am not an expert in C++ programmer, but I have done some simple programming before. I would really appreciate some help.

I have written a .NET program, using Windows form Application.
My application is fairly simple.
Basically, I have two simple buttons on my form.
When the form is first loaded, I set up a global variable (bool run = true).

And my first button is essentially a very simple while loop.

while(run)
{
// do some code
}

And what I want to do, is have the second button set the value of the boolean to false (bool run = false).

But, once I clicked the first button, I cannot even touch the second button!

I have read quite about this, and I think my solution is to use a multi-threading.
I have found some example codes on line for multi-threading, and I tried to incorporate those, but I don't know why I cannot get it to work. Once I click button #1, there is no way for me to be able to click button #2.

I would really appreciate some help.

Thanks,
--Rudy

Besides this being a C++ forum and not a .NET or C# or C++/CLI forum, your problem is that you shouldn't use a loop like that for buttons. You need to use event handling, not multithreading.
Last edited on

Thanks,
The reason I typed here, because I noticed few people posted Visual c++ questions. But anyways, could you please elaborate more how would I do that?

could you demonstrate with some code example please?

Thanks,
--Rudy
LB wrote:
Besides this being a C++ forum and notC#r C++/CLI forum,

If you look at the description of the this forum - it does
mention that it is for those things

The description exactly say this:

Win32, MFC, ATL, C++/CLI, .NET ...

Now I would've appreciated if you would have helped instead of keep mentioning this.

I'm sorry, I didn't notice this was in the Windows development forum.

Event handling involves setting up even handlers which you program to respond to events. An event can be anything from a mouse click to a keyboard input to the OS letting you know it is shutting down.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dacysss4.aspx

This is one of many resources, unfortunately information is all spread out for various languages and such.

Just look into event handling and event-driven GUIs - using while loops for your buttons is not going to work very well.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.