Database - I need a simple one to start

I've been searching for about a week and found that no one knows how to do a database in C++ All the forums suggest trying google or microsoft which don't help. I have visual c++ express and need to know how to do a simple database or ideally connect to ms access. I don't want to use MFC or .net
– I can do it in php so why not C++ ???
I've noticed a few on this forum asking a similar question and non of you know the answer - unbelievable. And to make it worse, no-one is allowed to reply because they are all archived aparently !!! what use is a forum where no one is allowed to reply? (I also want to learn forms)
Last edited on
closed account (z05DSL3A)
Strange way to ask for help...try
» googling "ODBC C++"
» Windows Data Access Components SDK on MSDN[1]
I know you say that "All the forums suggest trying google or Microsoft which don't help" but that is where the answer to you question is. The MSDN link is possibly the best place to start.

[1] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa968814(VS.85).aspx

(I also want to learn forms)

Is that forms as in "Windows Forms Application", just asking because that's .net and you don't want to use .net for database stuff.
Last edited on
Thanks for your quick reply.
I've already spent hours on the msdn microsoft site and can't find anything that can help. I will have another look; maybe I've missed something. Ideally, I need some code from someone. I've heard that odbc and ado, etc, are the way but I still can't find anything simple or easy that may work. I have literally spent hours and hours searching google for help over the past couple of weeks. I've even tried installing a few things that havn't worked.
As for the forms, I have visual c++ 2008 express and the reason I said not .net is because I'm not sure if it has it or not with it being free. I can use the windows forms app to drag buttons on but stuck on activating them to do something (didn't know that was .net).
I'm grateful for any help.
I want to make a form that connects to a database; that is why I mentioned forms.
Last edited on
closed account (z05DSL3A)
You have got two subject that do not seem to have very consistent online information.

For database programming, it may be worth going to a library and looking for a book on the subject. MSDN is a pain to find your way around, you may be able to glean information from articles at the code project[1].

I have not come across any good quality Windows Forms Application tutorials online (including MSDN), most are for C# or VB not C++/CLI. I get the impression that Microsoft don't really want proto-developers to learn C++/CLI.

[1] http://www.codeproject.com/KB/database/
I've spent hours today trying out code from codeproject.com but it is all years old and won't work on visual c++ express 2008. It is a good site though; if only I could modernise the code.
Thanks for your help; I'll keep searching.
There are tons of complete samples in pure C or C++ in MSDN (KB, PSDK, etc) (ADO, DAO, ODBC, etc...)
Unbelievable to not find them...
All codeproject and others sites samples are copied from there !
thanks George but I can't find them, I need links from someone. I have looked and keep going round in circles on the site rather than finding any code or useful tutorials, etc.
I've made it my full time job to find c++ 2008 code for database access via forms and still I've found nothing that works. Some code I have found on sites comes up with errors because it is out of date. I wish someone could send me some code that works.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.