return true;
return false;
}

This new implementation of the == operator *works* if I use it like this:

Symbol *sym2 = new Symbol("due", true);
Symbol *sym3 = new Symbol("due", true);

if(*sym2 == *sym3) cout << "equal" << endl;
else cout << "different" << endl;

The objects sym2 e sym3 are considered equal because the attribute name is the same.

In some portions of the project code I'm using pointers to Symbol objects and I would prefer not to dereference theese pointers every time I have to test if two Symbol(s) are equal. In other words I would like to be able to write something like this:

Symbol *sym2 = new Symbol("due", true);
Symbol *sym3 = new Symbol("due", true);

if(sym2 == sym3) cout << "equal" << endl; // without the * operator before sym2 and sym3
else cout << "different" << endl;

In this case I'm not able to overload the == operator so that it can compare two Symbol objects using their pointers and not the objects themselves. I've tried to rewrite the == operator like this

bool Symbol::operator==(Symbol* rhs)const{
cout << "operatore overloaded == " << rhs->name;
if (this->name==rhs->name)
return true;
return false;
}

Or like this:

bool Symbol::operator==(Symbol*& rhs)const{
cout << "operatore overloaded == " << rhs->name;
if (this->name==rhs->name)
return true;
return false;
}

but, although I've succesfully compiled the source code, the overloaded == operator member function doesn't get called and the equality test always fails because the standard == operator is used and the two addresses are, of course, different.

Looks like the formal and actual parameters types for the operatr== overload function do not match although the code compiles correctly.I'm beginnig to think that I'm missing something important here... Could anyone help me?

Thank's in advance!

a.

First, the argument to the == operator should be a const Symbol &.

Now, I think what you are suggesting could be accomplished by writing the operator as a non-member. However, I do not recommend that you follow through with this. Pointers are typically dereferenced to compare objects; saving yourself the extra step is likely to just obfuscate the conditionals.
Overloading the == operator for native C++ pointers is a bad idea - anyone reading the code would natually expect it to compare the addresses.

If you were creating a special purpose pointer class with this behavior, that == compared the objects pointed to (deep compare) that would be much less unusual. There's nothing wrong with "if(*sym2 == *sym3)" however; that's very natural code.

Alternatively, if you can use references (or simple stack variables) instead of pointers (and one ususally can), then operator== does what you want *with* the intuitive syntax.
Thank you for the tip, Seymore and SkorJ.

I wasn't considering code readabilty which of course is very important. I'll stick with the working code for the overloading of the == operator an I'll duly dereference pointers when comparing objects.

a.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.