Library Link error2019 Unresolved external symbol

closed account (NAXz3TCk)
Hi,

I am using Microsoft Visual Studio 10 and I am getting this error...

3>libtivodecode.lib(tivodecoder.obj) : warning LNK4075: ignoring '/EDITANDCONTINUE' due to '/INCREMENTAL:NO' specification
3>libtivodecode.lib(tivo-parse.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _ntohs@4 referenced in function _read_tivo_header
3>libtivodecode.lib(tivo-parse.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _ntohl@4 referenced in function _read_tivo_chunk
3>libtivodecode.lib(sha1.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _htonl@4 referenced in function _sha1_transform
3>C:\Users\Freddie\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\TivoDecode\Debug\TivoDecode.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 3 unresolved externals

What does this mean? My project has lib's that I didn't write (I am putting together a ui wrapper for a console application.) How do I figure out what symbols are not being resolved? And how to fix this?

Thank you guys sooo much!
Frice2014
You don't need to figure out which symbols are unresolved: The errors are telling you exactly which ones are: _ntohs, _ntohl and _htonl, and the message even tells you which functions contain them.

What you need to do is configure the linker to use the lib files given to you. You can use that with #pragma comment(lib, "thelibgoeshere"), or you can configure the additional libs using the project's properties. Personally, I would use the #pragma option.
I myself prefer #pragma statement too, don't care if is only supported by Visual Studio. Why ? Because it is much easier than messing with project settings in debug/release x86/x64 builds every time.

@OP: The library you need is winsock2, Ws2_32.lib
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.