L"text" will not compile?

Hi, I was wondering if someone could explain to me why the following code will not compile..

#include <windows.h>
int WINAPI WinMain(HINSTANCE hInstance, HINSTANCE hPrevInstance, LPSTR lpCmdLine, int nShowCmd)
{
    //create a "Hello World" message box using MessageBox()
    MessageBox(NULL,
               L"Press OK if George is Frickin Awesome!!!!",
               L"George",
               MB_ICONEXCLAMATION | MB_OK);

return 0;
}

I get an error.. but if i remove the L before "Press okay.." & "George" the code compiles just fine.

I am running CodeBlocks on windows 7 64 bit.
closed account (1vRz3TCk)
Because of the UNICODE settings. Most Windows API functions are now hidden behind macros for example MessageBox will call either MessageBoxA or MessageBoxW depending on the UNICODE define along with this you will require L"Whatever" or just "Whatever", to make sure you have the correct one use the text macro:
TEXT("whatever")
Last edited on
If you want to use unicode strings then the proper entry point should be

int WINAPI wWinMain(HINSTANCE hInstance, HINSTANCE hPrevInstance, LPWSTR lpCmdLine, int nShowCmd)
Or just

int _tWinMain(HINSTANCE hInstance, HINSTANCE hPrevInstance, LPTSTR lpCmdLine, int nCmdShow)
Last edited on
Thanks for the replies everyone (;
Or just

int _tWinMain(HINSTANCE hInstance, HINSTANCE hPrevInstance, LPTSTR lpCmdLine, int nCmdShow)

I just don't see the point in using ASCII strings anymore in Windows apps so I've developed the habit of using unicode explicitly.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.