Qt Windows and multiplatform programming GUI libs

closed account (N85iE3v7)
Right now at my job we are starting a new project and we are in search for new libraries that allow more easily conversion ( I know there is no such thing, but I believe that there might be some way to make things a little less hard ) from code primarily developed for Windows to Linux.

We are currently thinking to use Qt. My question is, considering multi platform development that targets windows and linux, is this the best option ?
Without knowing more information about your app, it is difficult to say.

The other two general, popular cross-platform GUI toolkits are wxWidgets and FLTK.

The latter appears to quite popular for smaller scale apps, and those that require limited GUI functionality (e.g. a window to host OpenGL).

For game development there are other more specialized libraries, but I'm not a game programmer so have not looked into them.

The trade off between (e.g.) Qt and FLTK is between a slicker, more complete, heavy library and a light-weight, pragmatic one. They also have different licensing models, which you may need to take into account. FLTK apps do look a bit on the basic side cf. Qt ones.

The Wikipedia articles for the various toolkits provides lists of projects you use the toolkit, if you want to look at some examples.
Last edited on
closed account (N85iE3v7)
Hi thanks for the help! We usually interface hardware, we communicate with a serial EIA TIA 232 or USB device. I am afraid we have some large applications. Our software has some legal constraints, we deal with fiscal printers so everything is under government laws so we cannot distribute source code. That is why we cannot use LGPL based libraries like Qt.

I am actually trying WxWidgets, they look a bit like MFC, which is our expertise.

Thanks a lot!

Topic archived. No new replies allowed.