Microsoft VB 2010 Express

Werent all versions of VB proprietary software that one would have to fork out sums of cash to use? If so, why would Microsoft release VB 2010 for free? Just seems strange. Or does the free down loadable version from their website have limited features?
The Visual Studio Express editions have several limitations, they are detailed here:

http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/en-us/products/2010-editions/product-comparison#expressCompareTable
I guess they try to 'hook' you on the free versions, figuring you'll eventually buy the real ones. Seems to work. Programming is very addictive.
WTF??? So I was looking at online tutorials and now im really confused.

I thought windows GUI's are basically made with C/C++ and the windows API which does the graphics/keyboard etc... Now after watching an online tutorial, I see VB doesnt use C/C++!
For ex. to declare an integer you would say:
Dim Num1 As Integer

How shit is that?! Why didnt they simply base it on C/C++ and simply add the graphics library to it?
VB started off life as a DOS app, with a text "GUI".

The Windows GUI was added to it later in life"

P.S. Oops - I'm misremembering QuickBasic rebranding as VB for DOS when VB for Windows came out...
Last edited on
Visual Basic has many automatic resource handling routines, including the allocation and deallocation of memory. Using C++ plus some GUI framework does not achieve the purpose of Visual Basic: A higher level programming language with ActiveX capability.
So I cant use C/C++ in VB at all. VB uses an enturely different language of its own? Or that language of VB is built on top of C/C++. Which means can I still use C/C++?
Before Visual Basic came onto the scene, building Windows GUI app was a real painful process with those C WinAPI. But after VB came along, it blow away every developer mind. And soon you witness LOT'S or I should say avalanche of Windows GUI app appearing on the market. The reason is simple. Building GUI in VB is simply drag and drop and then add in your event handling code and then you compile,package and deploy with all the needed VB DLLs.

For this astonishing achievement, I give full credits to the development team behind VB. However it does come at a price though but further VB versions actually allow VB code to be able to call those Windows API using some features which is neat. The ease of ActiveX controls integrating into VB is also very easy.

But those were desktop days, now into mobile times, some developers are hoping for another astonishing development product like VB to came along for say Android and iOS.

Sputnik: Yes you learn the Basic programming language syntax. You can call Windows API also but I don't think you need to learn C/C++ for that.

sohguanh wrote:
Before Visual Basic came onto the scene, building Windows GUI app was a real painful process with those C WinAPI. But after VB came along, it blow away every developer mind. And soon you witness LOT'S or I should say avalanche of Windows GUI app appearing on the market. The reason is simple. Building GUI in VB is simply drag and drop and then add in your event handling code and then you compile,package and deploy with all the needed VB DLLs.

I definitely agree with this. Watching VB tutorials I'm amazed at the power and speed at which GUI apps can be made.

My problem is this sohguanh:

1) How can I make GUI's with the power and speed of a "VB like IDE" but using C/C++ language instead?
That's ultimately what I want.

Lets for a minute say there is nothing out there that does that. 2) Can I somehow compile my C/C++ code in one IDE and compile my GUI code in VB (for example). Then can I somehow "link" or "pass" my parameters to and from the C programme to the GUI programme?

If anybody knows what I mean...
Last edited on

1) How can I make GUI's with the power and speed of a "VB like IDE" but using C/C++ language instead?
That's ultimately what I want.

You already have that in Visual C++ with MFC framework but even with that, the event handling code behind isn't anything "pretty" so as to speak :P

Lets for a minute say there is nothing out there that does that. 2) Can I somehow compile my C/C++ code in one IDE and compile my GUI code in VB (for example). Then can I somehow "link" or "pass" my parameters to and from the C programme to the GUI programme?

You have something equivalent. M$ introduce COM/DCOM/ActiveX for that purposes. You can use ATL to develop your COM/DCOM/ActiveX objects and then those compiled code/controls can be used in VB.

COM/DCOM/ActiveX were hot stuff back in those early 90's era, the thought of having C/C++ compiled binaries working "seam-lessly" in VB and other like Borland Powerbuilder is god-sent! I was part of those developers that witness those earth-shaking days before Java,JSP-mania took over in mid-90s.

Now at year 2011, we talk mobile development. This is how fast IT moves and as a developer you need to keep yourself relevant IMHO :)
sohguanh wrote:
Visual C++ with MFC framework but even with that, the event handling code behind isn't anything "pretty" so as to speak :P
Understatement of year. I've been working with the M.F.C. for the last year and I've started to have nightmares about working with it :).

If you use the G.U.I. builder with the predefined controls it's not such a pain, but when you want to add custom behavior... It's like trying to fry an egg in a plastic colander.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.