Need assistance with muting system sound...

I'm in a group at school called the GHS Help Desk, which is basically just all of the programming-savvy (or those who wish to become such) students come in during one period to help our Tech guy fix junk. Well my current assignment is to create a very simple command-line app that mutes and un-mutes the system sound. I thought this would be easy, but after hours of Googling and searching around forums and the MSDN documentation, it's proved to be much harder than expected. Can anyone help? I understand that it has to do with the system's mixer, and not the wave functions (like waveOutSetVolume). If anyone has a tutorial working with the mixer, I'd really appreciate it. However, direct help would be just as helpful.

Thanks,
Richard
No, it's very easy and It's a win32 api FAQ.
See on Adv. Win32 api newsgroup :
news://194.177.96.26/comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32
where it has often been discussed... ( C code)
It is so easy that there are countless forums all over the web with people posting (mostly unanswered --or incorrectly answered) questions on how to do it, plus lots and lots of "how to do smart stuff" columns explaining how to navigate the Win32 MM system.

Here's a code I like. It isn't the only way, but it is clean.
http://www.rohitab.com/discuss/index.php?s=1284ed5ec0f45ca8db557977c9505566&showtopic=32051&pid=10051640&st=0&#entry10051543

Don't forget to #include <windows.h> and link with winmm.

Good luck!
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.