Setup & Deploy

I'm still on my trial version of VS 2010.

VC++ Express doesn't have a Setup & Deploy option. So I have two questions --

1. Since I have the full VS 2008 version which does have Setup & Deploy, is there any downside to using that to create an Install program with a EXE I've created in VS 2010?

2. Is there a Setup & Deploy program out there that I can get for free or pay a relatively small price for so that I don't need the Setup & Deploy in VS 2010 or VS 2008?

I really hate to shell out almost $500.00 for the Professional Version of VS 2010.
Last edited on
See if Inno Setup is of your liking.
It looks very cool. I just downloaded it. Wne I get time I'm going to play with it, but it looks like what I'm looking for. Thanks.
Actually, I have installed Inno Setup and toyed with it only a little, but it looks like a first-class program, and is probably better than the one that comes with VS.

I have heard that other developers usually use third party apps for their setup & deploy projects instead of the VS function, and this one looks to be very good, in spite of the fact that it is free. Wow. Thanks again!
Last edited on
Not to beat a dead horse, webJose, but that program is EXACTLY what I was looking for. I just created a beautiful Setup program in a short amount of time and with ease, and it works splendidly. I highly recommend this free-ware for anyone who is looking to make simple but relatively elegant Setup apps.
Great to hear. I knew this fellow some time ago. It's been this good over time. Glad it works for you. I haven't seen it in action in Windows Vista/7. Hopefully there are no issues with UAC and the like.
The most powerful installer in my opinion is NSIS.
I took a look at the website of NSIS but its last build is Dec 2009. Inno really is perfect for me. It does exactly what I want, and it takes maybe two or three minutes to make a setup executable, so I'm going to stick with it for now.

With regard to UAC, I've built probably 10 or so setup projects now and have encountered no problems whatsoever. But I also remoeve UAC in my own application anyway.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.