Get USB ports list

Hi!
I've been searching all over the net with no positive results, so I hope anyone here can help me!

I have written some code in which I get simple electronic pulses from a circuit, through the Serial port. Each time a pulse is received, the program saves some info to a text file.
To do that I use CreatFile() and ReadFile() functions, which are defined in windows.h.

Now I want to adapt that code to be used with a USB port, as my friend's laptop does not have Serial port. As far as I know, I can manage USB ports in a fairly similar way... The problem is that I don't know what a USB port name is (I know it's "COM1" for Serial port). I have read that a USB port name depends on the device connected in that port.

My question is: Is there a way to list all USB ports (used and not used), so that I can search the port where my circuit is connected??

I am under windows XP, and don't use any IDE (such as Visual C++, etc...). I've tried with libusb, but my compiler doesn't seem to like it... Perhaps I'm doing something wrong, but I can't figure out what!

I'm desperate here! Isn't there a way inside windows.h to do that???

Thanks!
Using USB is not as straightforward as using standard serial ports.

has the manufacturer supplied any information about the usb interface of the device:

Is there a datasheet on the web that you can point us to??
I made the device myself... it's quite simple: a 555 that send rectangular pulses every time a switch is closed.
I think I'll have to add a USB controller chip to my circuit, won't I?

Any alternatives?
Thanks a lot!
Let me see if I understand you :

You are sending a pulse directly up the serial cable - and reading the serial port?

This is OK to do with the serial port - however USB is totally different.
USB ports do not work this way - You will need more than a usb controller - because USB
uses a special protocol (both hardware and software) -

USB is not just a bunch of dumb electrical
signals like normal RS232 serial (which is one of the reasons why you can't do a USB loopback by directly cross-connecting the data lines which you can do with RS232 serial)
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.