edit box issue

Hello experts,

I have created an edit box using win32 app. I want that what ever strings are entered into the edit box should be retained in it.
For example:

I have two strings:
1. "hello world"
2. "Great to have you"

When I enter second string, the first disappears. I want that second string should come in next line and this continues for next strings as well. This is same as what happens in a chat output box.

I guess I am clear.

Please help me

Regards,
Abhishek
I have one more issue apart from this. Suppose a function fails and I do check the error using GetLastError() function. I want to pass this error in the edit box using SetDlgItemText(). However, SetDlgItemText() takes only char string as input in a buffer. How to send the error which is integer.

Please help
For issue #1, see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb775458%28VS.85%29.aspx. You want to create a multiline edit control. To achieve this, you want to specify the ES_MULTILINE style.

For #2, convert the integer to a string. The following is good for C++. Note that I have defined the tstring data type to accommodate for both ANSI and Unicode builds.

#include <sstream>

#ifdef _UNICODE
typedef std::wstring tstring;
typedef std::wstringstream tstringstream;
#else
typedef std::string tstring;
typedef std::stringstream tstringstream;
#endif

int i = 5;
tstring s;
tstringstream out;
out << i;
s = out.str();
//At this point, s is a std::string (or std::wstring) that contains the number as a string.
//Use it with SetDlgItemText().
SetDlgItemText(theDlgWnd, theEditID, s.c_str());

Did not test it, but should work OK.
@webJose

Thanks for the reply. I had solved the second issue by myself. However, the first issue is not about using multiline edit control. I am already doing it. My issue is somewhat different. I want to enter the two strings programmically. It should store the strings coming from program one after the other.
I imagine that you want to keep the previous string and just append the new one. In this case I would keep the entire string myself, concatenate, and then pass to the control with WM_SETTEXT.

//At procedure level, or maybe file level, you declare:
tstring strConversation;

//Then you append to this string variable any new text.  Let's assume there is a function for that.
void AppendNewText(tstring &newText)
{
    strConversation += strConversation.size() ? TEXT("\r\n") : TEXT("");
    strConversation += newText;
    //Finally, you set the text in the control.  This may or may not be appropriate here.
    SendMessage(myEditControl, WM_SETTEXT, 0, strConversation.c_str());
}

EDIT: I just remembered that you use SetDlgItemText():

SetDlgItemText(theDlgWnd, theEditID, strConversation.c_str());
Last edited on
hey thanks for reply. I had solved the issue though. Thanks anyways.

BR//
Abhishek
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.