New Installation of VS2008

I bought a new computer, Win 7 64 bit, and applied all updates. After installing VS2008, I not only had updates for VS2008, but now it tells me I need updates for XP(sp3), a number of Office 2007 apps, and other stuff. Is this normal? Should I apply these updates? Why do I need an update for XP(sp3) if I'm running Win 7, or is that something related to VS2008?
That's the kind of question you would ask here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/
Just install VB 2010 and save yourself the headache. From what I understand you'll like some of the improvments to the UI as well.
VS2010 is way too expensive, and I don't want the trial version when I've already got all I need in VS2008. Does anybody know what these updates mean?
VS2010 express is free, and professional also when you are a student.
I don't want the express versions. Too much missing.
What are you missing?

Anyways, as I said, that's the kind of thing to ask in the msdn, not in a forum dedicated to C++.
For one thing, you can't actually download VS2010. You have to download single components, so nothing is integrated. Secondly, you can't build an install version with the Express editions, nor can you do resources files, etc.
I see that I can get the VS2010 Professional Trial Edition for one year before purchasing, which I may do, but if I do that, should I completely uninstall VS2008 first, or does anyone know?
Secondly, you can't build an install version with the Express editions, nor can you do resources files, etc.

Well, you can do that with exterior tools though. of course it is nice to have everything in one product, but fact is that when you use only a single program you ultimately restrict yourself to its capabilities.
I've been told by a MS MSVP to allow all the updates, so I'll probably do that if I decide to keep VS2008 instead of upgrading to VS2010.

In that vein, why, in your opinion, should I go with the upgrade other than the compatibility? Is the program really that much better?
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.