Qns about the windows API in windows 7

Does the charles petzold book still apply to windows 7?
Would those functions API work the same in 64bit as they do in 32 bit?
I don't have Windows 7 yet (hope to get one soon), but the issue is really 32 bit vs. 64 bit I think. What I'd recommend if you are doing 64 bit OS is look up the various functions at msdn and it'll likely tell you there if its any different for 64 bit. Since pointers need to move in 64 bit increments/decrements, that all has to change. In terms of learning the fundamentals of the Win Api, Petzold is still the best idea I think.
Yes.

Mostly, yes.
wow I'm impressed that the book is still valid after more than 10 years or so and with so many iterations of windows
They can't break backward compatibility. It's designed (at great pain) to be backward compatible, it's not a fluke.
You will encounter probems if you compile in x64 mode, mostly with different pointers size.
kbw wrote...

Yes.

Mostly, yes.

wow I'm impressed that the book is still valid after more than 10 years or so and with so many iterations of windows

That's why I still maintain that Win32/64 Sdk / Api style coding is the BEST way to code for Windows. You might think its hard to learn, but I'll tell you what's harder; and that is trying to learn the newest paradigm that comes out every couple years, throwing away everything you've learned about the past one that was 'at the time', the most popular way to go.
That's why I still maintain that Win32/64 Sdk / Api style coding is the BEST way to code for Windows. You might think its hard to learn, but I'll tell you what's harder; and that is trying to learn the newest paradigm that comes out every couple years, throwing away everything you've learned about the past one that was 'at the time', the most popular way to go.

As a programmer that program for a living, you got to adapt to changes and not ask for the changes to accommodate you isn't it ?

That is why there are groups of programmers that prefer to specialize and also groups of programmers that keep changing their skill-sets to keep themselves updated. No right or wrong choice here.

I prefer to keep changing. I guess I like new things. But the same cannot be said for your wife though. You get one you stick to it :P
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.