Sneak preview of my windows Snake game!

closed account (3pj6b7Xj)
Here is a preview :)

http://oi55.tinypic.com/14ty6va.jpg

And here is a small picture of what the main menu looks like!

http://oi52.tinypic.com/2h3acm0.jpg

I'm not sure how the copyright stuff works but I just put it there because it looked cool. But, I guess I can say I own the copyright since I also own and wrote the source code myself?

This thing is almost done and it will be my first game out to the world, i'm not sure how popular this will be but I hope a lot of people play it and thank me for my time.

I want to specially thank you all here in the forum, I know i've only been here a short time, but many things have become clear about the windows api.

Comments welcome, thanks all! :)
Snake game is "do-to-death" already. There are browser, desktop and even mobile versions circulating around. You need to either add some variation to the snake game or think of a new game that has not been done or if it is done the few badly written version by other companies and developers.

To start off, are there any popular games played locally in your country but the computer version of it has yet to surfaced in the Internet? Then that will be a good choice for your game.

E.g Poker, Gin Rummy, BlackJack etc are done by so many ppl. Even Sudoko has been done by a few developers in this forum.

Strive to be unique will then attract ppl to your game. One easy way is to add new rules to the snake game to make it unique :)

I understand your point of view but the whole purpose of me creating this game is to better understand the windows api and how it behaves. Theres over a billion games out in this world and most of them are pretty much the same but like you said with a twist.

Making this game has helped me to understand how application windows are created, the message loop & how the windows GDI behaves in relation to all other windows on the screen as well as other factors.

If I had sat down to create something unique and original, I would have wasted a lot of time that I could have been using to learn the windows api which is what the whole purpose of the project is.

I've been programming the win api for only 3 months and i've gotten this far. When I believe I have enough confidence that I can build something truly unique, I will do so and learn from it as well but for the mean time, I do not try to run before I can walk. :)
Point taken. You can then treat your snake game as the learning ground. Next project you must form the idea and this idea is important. If you take a look at FaceBook, Google etc it started with the idea and then snowball effect.

Till that day comes, happy programming :)

PS
One twist to the snake game I can think of is you can say at certain time interval the boundaries "shrink or expand or whatever" or the position of the snake is re-drawn in some random position, or the length of the snake is reduced cuz you stay long enough etc etc to make the game more "challenging".

Basically gamer like un-predictability so it is worth playing. If it is predictable they will find the game boring and move on to others once they play a few times and get the pattern. Capture their interest is important.
Well there is the MS-DOS version I wrote in DJGPP called VIRNIBBLES.... the objective of the game was to eat all the objects on the screen before the virus consumes the snake. Basically it starts off like regular nibbles but your snake is already super big, you eat stuff around the screen but the size of your snake is quickly reducing and reducing until eventually there is nothing left of the snake and you die.

I just re-read my comment and I realized I might have been some how upset at something, don't know why. Your input is very much appreciated sohguanh :) Oh that day will come, I experiement with ideas every day lol.
Hi mrfaosfx, mobile development will take off like a rocket in coming years. I feel it maybe more worthwhile for you to learn those mobile SDK API instead. At least your completed project has some chance of letting someone on Earth to play and try. I would say let your game see "light" instead of being closed in some cold dark dungeon. I do not mean this forum is a dungeon :)

Now I can use my handset to play my own developed game without Internet connection or lugging a netbook, notebook or even tablet. I am talking about those simple but can be also challenging games say like your Snake, Tetris etc.

I believe in this Earth, there still exist a group of ppl who prefer simple and brain provoking games in comparison to nowadays shoot-to-kill, shoot-to-strip, gambling, racing etc etc genre. Crossword puzzle has been around for centuries and it still has it's supporters. I hope my belief is not "shaken" by modern day games.
Thanks, I just want to finish this and add it to my portfolio of windows apps.......I have a folder of a bunch of DOS programs and games I created, even side scrollers in the NASTY 320x240 screen modes , lol! Hey it was fun back in the days, I even have some stuff that was compiled by QuickBasic PDX if you heard of that, man that was from way back...im tired of DOS already, I feel like i've finally climbed over the edge and are looking into the horizon of a whole new world.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.