Compatibility issues

closed account (LTXN8vqX)
I have been programming for a while and i just realized when i put my app on a flashdrive and put it on another computer with a different OS that it gives me an error. How do i make my programs work on any Microsoft OS. This has been bugging me for a while and I appreciate any help.
Are you talking about another OS such as Linux? If so, you can't do that.

If you are talking about just a different Windows computer, then chances are your program has dependencies not met on the other computer. For example, does your program require the MFC dll and the other computer doesn't have it? That sort of thing. These are known as dependencies. You'll have to give more details about how you created your program.
Well, most of the time when i compile the program, let's say on Vista, and i put it on Win 7 and try to run it, the main error is "MSRVP1000.DLL Not Found". I know that it's a file in system32 folder but i don't know how to fix it.
You fix what is affectionatly known as "DLL HELL" by directly linking your DLL's to your program and packaging them with your distribution. NEVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE HAVE YOUR INSTALLER COPY ANY FILES TO %SYSTEMROOT%

IOW, you copy MSRVP1000.DLL to the same path as your executable and keep it that way. Keep in mind that this may not be legal so read your EULA and when your done, re-read you EULA.
Last edited on
You fix what is affectionatly known as "DLL HELL" by directly linking your DLL's to your program and packaging them with your distribution. NEVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE HAVE YOUR INSTALLER COPY ANY FILES TO %SYSTEMROOT%
That quite defeats the purpose of shared libraries
Normally I'm with you Bazzy but I just got done reading the SDK for Windows 7 and the amount of trouble that M$ went through, see Symbolic Links, to get around issues like this really highlights how much of a problem it was for SysAdmins like myself.

EDIT: Symbolic Links do exist in updated versions of XP but they really went all out to fix this problem with Vista and Vista 2.0 (Windows 7).
Last edited on
wow, that actually a really good idea, just copy the file, but that's the thing, i have already had this idea but i never knew how to put a file in a program and have it copy it to a directory.

How would someone store a file in a program then copy it to a directory?

Btw, thanks for your quick and helpful replies, it's much appreciated.
Sorry I didn't get back to you yesterday. There are a number of ways to do this, I'll assume that you read your EULA and are able to distribute the DLL, the easiest way I think is to simply zip it up with the installer, if you don't have an installer then I've really already answered you question.

ComputerGeek01:... you copy MSRVP1000.DLL to the same path as your executable and keep it that way.

EDIT: <DELETED>
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.